ARRL

Register Account

Login Help

Forum Home - Rules - Help - Login - Forgot Password
Members can access, post and reply to the forums below. Before you do, please first read the RULES.

2m Mobile Choice

Jun 5th 2013, 23:28

N8TTX

Total Topics: 0
Total Posts: 0
I'm in the market for my first mobile radio. I currently have a Yaesu FT-60R HT that can be used in a cup-holder mount with a mag-mount Comet dual band antenna (M-24S I believe). I would like to get a dedicated mobile that has more power. The 2 that I'm looking at are the Kenwood TM-281A and the Icom IC-V8000. I'm leaning towards the Icom for it's features, even with the higher price of the two. The primary use for the radio will be general talk while mobile, severe weather net (what little we get here in central Ohio) and for ARES. I'd also like to be able to hit the repeaters in Columbus sooner on our travels back and forth to Akron.

The radio that I end up choosing will most likely be paired with a 5/8 wave Comet SBB-25 or similar antenna with a magnetic base (mounted on the top of my pickup truck).

I'd love to hear your opinions on either or both of these radios, pro's and con's, etc. eham.net net rates them both about the same but I'd like a few more opinions if possible. I'd also be interested in your opinions on my antenna choice.

Thanks

Jun 6th 2013, 02:01

N8TTX

I'm also looking at mouonting options. I have a Dodge Ram 1500 Quad Cab, with the fold down center seat up front. The cup holders come out of the lower dash in the middle.

Thanks
Jun 8th 2013, 16:38

AI7PM

If it's an option, go for a dual bander. Many good used ones are available. I've know many fellow HAMs who said they just wanted 2m, then were looking to add a 70cm or dual bander within a month or two.

As for brand, I've used Alinco, Kenwood, and ICOM. All good radios. A buddy has my original (21 years old) Alinco dual bander as his base station. The only reason I haven't bought Yaesu along the way is I don't like their programming/function conventions. I used them extensively in an ARES installation, but just never warmed up to Yaesu.

It's all in what you want, like, and availability.

Jun 9th 2013, 20:57

KB0HAE

Hi. Whether you want a dual band radio will depend on 70cm activity in your area of operation. While there is one 70cm repeater local to me there is very seldome any activity on it. Being a Kenwood fan, I would recommend the TM281. You will see very little (if any) difference between 65 and 75 watts output.

EXPLORE ARRL

Instragram     Facebook     Twitter     YouTube     LinkedIn