ARRL

Register Account

Login Help

Forum Home - Rules - Help - Login - Forgot Password
Members can access, post and reply to the forums below. Before you do, please first read the RULES.

Email service bounce

Jun 18th 2013, 20:30

KA0MVK

Total Topics: 0
Total Posts: 0
Earlier today I had an email get through from a friend who had forwarded a bounce from an earlier attempt. From the message, it looks like the spam filtering is what killed the message. Here's the bounce text:

Your message did not reach some or all of the intended recipients.

Subject: Job opportunity at my work

Sent: 6/18/2013 10:12 AM

The following recipient(s) cannot be reached:

ka0mvk@arrl.net on 6/18/2013 10:19 AM

The e-mail system was unable to deliver the message, but did not report a specific reason. Check the address and try again. If it still fails, contact your system administrator.

< mx01.tmcmed.org #5.0.0 smtp; 5.3.0 - Other mail system problem 554-'5.7.1 Mail (68649-13955) appears to be unsolicited - MessageScore (61) over limit (50) - contact postmaster@arrl.net for resolution' (delivery attempts: 0)>

Interesting that the mail service thinks it's an "unknown" reason, yet the response clearly indicates it was spam bounced. Probably not using the right codes in the response.

She sent this to me from her work email address, letting me know about some jobs that are opening up there since she knows I've been looking for a job. Seems it triggered the spam filter and it was blocked.

Since my forward goes through Gmail (which has REALLY good spam filtering), I'd rather just let everything through on my account and let Gmail deal with the spam. At least that way I have a chance to see an email that would have otherwise been bounced and decide if it is spam or not.

So is it possible to have the spam filtering turned off for my email forwarding?
Jun 19th 2013, 20:38

aa6e

From the data you give, I don't think you can say there was any filtering in the arrl.net forwarding process. (You did not provide the message headers that would help sort this out.)

It is likely that the email was bounced by the receiving email system, which decided the message was "spam" according to its own algorithms (too many links, too much HTML, whatever).

It would be interesting to know whether there is any spam filtering in the arrl.net forwarding process, but I don't think we have the evidence here.

It appears that a lot of the forwarded email problems have to do with the receiving systems (e.g. Comcast.net) deciding that the arrl.net IP address is "evil" -- appearing on somebody's blacklist. This can happen if a lot of spam gets sent through arrl.net by some compromised user or for various other reasons.

It would be good to have an update from a knowledgeable HQ technical person about all this.

73 Martin AA6E
Jun 20th 2013, 03:10

K0STK

Quote by AA6E

Quote by KA0MVK

< mx01.tmcmed.org #5.0.0 smtp; 5.3.0 - Other mail system problem 554-'5.7.1 Mail (68649-13955) appears to be unsolicited - MessageScore (61) over limit (50) - contact postmaster@arrl.net for resolution' (delivery attempts: 0)>

It is likely that the email was bounced by the receiving email system, which decided the message was "spam" according to its own algorithms (too many links, too much HTML, whatever).

The error message provided by KA0MVK tells me mx0.tmcmed.org is reporting that the @arrl.net MX considers the incoming message to be spam.

Quote by AA6E
It would be interesting to know whether there is any spam filtering in the arrl.net forwarding process, but I don't think we have the evidence here.

Spam-filtering _is_ in use for mail forwarded to @arrl.net addresses.

Here's a sample from the TAPR APRSsig mailing list:

X-Assp-ID: arrlscan14.edgeni.net a1448889-05561
X-Assp-Session: 7FB8FF86D900 (mail 1)
X-Assp-Envelope-From: aprssig-bounces@tapr.org
X-Assp-Intended-For: XXXXX@arrl.net
X-Assp-Original-Subject: [aprssig] GPS recommendation
X-Assp-Version: 2.3.3(13137) on arrlscan14.edgeni.net
X-Assp-Whitelisted: Yes (whitelistdb)

Here's another sample from the TAPR APRSsig mailing list:

X-Assp-Version: 1.7.5.7(1.0.07) on arrlscan2.edgeni.net
X-Assp-Received-SPF: none (cache) ip=76.74.252.228 mailfrom=aprssig-bounces@tapr.org
helo=mail.tapr.org
X-Assp-Envelope-From: aprssig-bounces@tapr.org
X-Assp-ID: arrlscan2.edgeni.net 55732-11085

Here's a sample from Yahoo Groups:

X-Assp-Version: 1.7.5.7(1.0.07) on arrlscan6.edgeni.net
X-Assp-Whitelisted: Yes (Whitelisted Domain: groupsupdates@returns.groups.yahoo
***.com)
X-Assp-Envelope-From: groupsupdates@returns.groups.yahoo.com
X-Assp-Passing: Whitelisted Domain: groupsupdates@returns.groups.yahoo.com
X-Assp-ID: arrlscan6.edgeni.net 45283-11758

Quote by AA6E
It appears that a lot of the forwarded email problems have to do with the receiving systems (e.g. Comcast.net) deciding that the arrl.net IP address is "evil" -- appearing on somebody's blacklist.

I plugged the IP address for the @arrl.net out-going mail-server into a couple of black-list look-up forms and that address is clean (i.e. does not appear on any black-lists). So that's not likely to be the issue.
Jun 20th 2013, 03:51

W0BTU

Quote by AA6E
... Comcast.net) deciding that the arrl.net IP address is "evil" ...

Comcast is notorious for doing this! No one can rightly blame the ARRL for this. We run several e-commerce sites selling various types of indoor air purification equipment; and if a customer with a comcast.net e-mail address places an online order, the order confirmation e-mail is automatically rejected by Comcast every time, without fail. We have to use our gmail.com email address to contact the customer.

And contacting Comcast about this issue was fruitless. They appear to have their own rigid agenda and policies. I wish they would fall off the edge of the earth. They are a thorn in my side.

The bounced message from Comcast's e-mail servers is always "Comcast block for spam". We have never sent unsolicited e-mail, even though that message implies it.

If Comcast were the only ISP available in my area, I wouldn't use them. So help me, I would subscribe to dial-up in some long-distance city instead.

73, Mike
www.w0btu.com
Jun 25th 2013, 21:39

KA0MVK

Still would like to know if it's possible to turn off the filtering at arrl.net for my email...........

EXPLORE ARRL

Instragram     Facebook     Twitter     YouTube     LinkedIn