ARRL

Register Account

Login Help

Forum Home - Rules - Help - Login - Forgot Password
Members can access, post and reply to the forums below. Before you do, please first read the RULES.

Gamber Johnson Slide Mount

Jul 3rd 2013, 15:09

N0USP

Total Topics: 0
Total Posts: 0
Discontinued Gamber Johnson Super Slide mobile radio mounts and repair
Jul 3rd 2013, 16:35

N0USP

Total Topics: 0
Total Posts: 0
I recently discovered a Gamber Johnson slide mount I was using on a VHF marine radio had an intermittent antenna connection. Movement of the bracket halves apart about 2mm, although the bracket was still snapped together, opened the center RF conductor.
The RF connector is a panel mount BNC with the radio portion male, the vehicle bracket female.
I removed the male, in-line, connector from the bracket by chipping away glue with a small screwdriver, breaking the connector, and drilling out the shell. The remnants of the connector shell pushed out toward the rear of the bracket.
I purchased an in-line, male, BNC connector. The rear of the twist-lock portion of the connector was swaged over a washer. The swaged lip was easily broken with needle nose pliers allowing removal of the backing washer, spring, and locking ring from the connector shell.
I had to slightly enlarge the hole in the mount. For re-assembly thread the coax pigtail through the mount hole, front to back, trim the shield and center conductor, put the shield sleeve on the cable, solder or crimp the center pin, install the connector shell onto the cable and crimp.
Test continuity and SWR before gluing the new connector into the mount.
I used 5-minute epoxy on the rear of the new connector and cable side of the mount hole. Put the mount halves together to hold position while epoxy sets. Check excess epoxy does not glue the mount together by sliding on-off a couple of times before the epoxy sets. You will need to hold the connector cable during bracket separation. Do a final continuity/SWR check.

EXPLORE ARRL

Instragram     Facebook     Twitter     YouTube     LinkedIn