ARRL

Register Account

Login Help

Forum Home - Rules - Help - Login - Forgot Password
Members can access, post and reply to the forums below. Before you do, please first read the RULES.

don hirth KF5SQB

Jul 5th 2013, 01:21

dondel

Total Topics: 0
Total Posts: 0
I'd appreciate some guidance on an "economy" setup for emer. radio power (weather disasters) My budget is limited and I've been thinking about using a deep cycle, wet cell battery as found in vehicles. 'Trying to keep it as simple as possible as it "might" not ever be needed. (with the grace of God.) Please respond.
Jul 6th 2013, 21:34

KB0HAE

Hi. If you have a power supply, you can float charge a deep cycle battery. I have done so for many years. You may need to adjust the supply voltage so as not to overcharge the battery. You also may need a diode in the positive lead between the power supply and the battery. I suggest that you do soom reading on the net. There is a lot of info available on float charging batteries.
Jul 31st 2013, 22:22

RecycledElectrons

Economy? Do You have a gas or diesel powered automobile? If so, You could use Your car/truck to charge a depe cycle battery, and use that to power Your ham radio gear. (As long as You always have some gas in the tank.)

The exact details are up to You.

* How much power will Your rig draw? That, and the time You want to spend running off the battery will determine the size & cost of the battery.

* Do You park right next to Your ham shack, or 1/4 mile away? You could run a wire from Your vehicle to power Your ham shack (or at least charge the batteries.) Or You could leave a battery charging at Your car while You run off another one, then swap batteries every so often.
* Does Your vehicle has a low battery shutoff, or not? If not, it's risky to leave it charging batteries when it's not running. Do You have a friend next door who could give You a jump start? Are You comfortable leaving Your car running for a long period of time? (as long as Your need the power?)

Aug 1st 2013, 12:44

W1VT

Super Moderator

Instead of running full power, it often makes more sense to run low power with a small beam.

http://www.wa5vjb.com/yagi-pdf/cheapyagi.pdf

Jun 2012 - QST (Pg. 39)
An Easy to Build Rear Mount 2 Meter Yagi
Author: Lau, Zack, W1VT

Zack Lau W1VT
ARRL Senior Lab Engineer

EXPLORE ARRL

Instragram     Facebook     Twitter     YouTube     LinkedIn