ARRL

Register Account

Login Help

Forum Home - Rules - Help - Login - Forgot Password
Members can access, post and reply to the forums below. Before you do, please first read the RULES.

Joel Hallas HF Ground Plane article in 12/2013 QST

Nov 30th 2013, 17:31

WO1X

Total Topics: 0
Total Posts: 0
Did anyone else review this interesting article? It was a fascinating article outlining a 2 band ground plane for 20 and 15 meters. The attraction is that it is ideal for someone that has only one support point (in this case, a tree). The one thing that struck me, frankly stunned me - was the close proximity to the tree trunk! Does anyone have any experience with this? I thought the nearby object would prove challenging especially on the higher bands. This antenna would be a great way to hide a vertical.

Nice Job Joel!

Comments?
Dec 3rd 2013, 15:25

W1VT

Super Moderator

The amateur tradition is to do the best you can, and try it out on the air to see if it works for you. Many hams have been pleasantly surprised how well an antenna works, even if significant compromises needed to be made.

For instance, my top loaded 160M inverted L started out as a hastily installed inverted L hung between two trees--so I could work CY0P before the DX-pedition operators left Sable Island! I then converted it to a T with unequal T wires. Last Sunday I finally got around to balancing the T wires by splicing in more wire. Grounding?--I just ran a wire over to my 80 M vertical which as elevated 55 ft radials. Works surprisingly well--not only did I work CY0P, but I've worked a bunch of Europeans and 39 states in the last two months!

Zack W1VT
ARRL Senior Lab Engineer
Dec 3rd 2013, 19:32

W0BTU

I don't know how close to the tree trunk it was, but a few feet away shouldn't kill its performance below 10 meters. I've hung HF antennas from trees and they performed very well.

And moving a 75 meter antenna from its lower location in the clear in amongst the trees in the woods here at greater height made a stunning improvement.

Now if it was 2 meters and especially UHF, that would be a different story.

73, Mike
www.w0btu.com

EXPLORE ARRL

Instragram     Facebook     Twitter     YouTube     LinkedIn