ARRL

Register Account

Login Help

Forum Home - Rules - Help - Login - Forgot Password
Members can access, post and reply to the forums below. Before you do, please first read the RULES.

Question about End Fed Antennas

Jan 3rd 2014, 07:11

3100193311H80

Total Topics: 0
Total Posts: 0
Hi, I am new to Amateur Radio and to ARRL, I just signed up here and paid my first years dues tonight so please forgive me if I am posting this in the wrong place. I bought a very nice Kenwood TS-440S/AT, PS-50 power supply and MC-43S microphone from ebay recently and am currently studying for my beginners Tech Class license. I am currently in listen mode only using a crummy old R.S. dipole scanner antenna mounted on a tripod on my roof. I recently bought a QSO-King 36' end fed antenna (and Line Isolator) to use as my starter antenna. I plan on mounting a second tripod and mast on the other end of the house as soon as the weather permits, the roof is full of snow now and it's really cold outside so I can't set it up now.. I'm going to mount the QSO-King balun box on the original mast and run it over to the new mast (41' away). What I'm wondering is can I extend the original 36' 14 gauge antenna wire by running it back and forth between the two masts to get the max QSO-King length of 160'? If so, is there a minimum distance required between the horizontal segments? Any help/ideas I can get will be truly appreciated.
Jan 4th 2014, 03:32

K6DMB

First, to answer your question about making the wire longer. The length of the antenna is designed by the manufacturer for whatever HF frequencies they advertise. Making it shorter or longer without doing some modeling will probably make it worse. I would suggest if you need to extend it longer, use a nonconductive rope or something similar.
I am NOT an antenna expert but I have done a lot of experimenting with my end fed vertical wire antenna. Due to my physical limitations, I cannot use any conventional antennas. In your case with access to your roof top, I would suggest you do some research and install the biggest, baddest, most expensive antenna you can afford. Most radios will receive and transmit at near the same levels, so concentrate on the antenna.
Good luck!

73, Dan
Jan 4th 2014, 03:34

K6DMB

First, to answer your question about making the wire longer. The length of the antenna is designed by the manufacturer for whatever HF frequencies they advertise. Making it shorter or longer without doing some modeling will probably make it worse. I would suggest if you need to extend it longer, use a nonconductive rope or something similar.
I am NOT an antenna expert but I have done a lot of experimenting with my end fed vertical wire antenna. Due to my physical limitations, I cannot use any conventional antennas. In your case with access to your roof top, I would suggest you do some research and install the biggest, baddest, most expensive antenna you can afford. Most radios will receive and transmit at near the same levels, so concentrate on the antenna.
Good luck!

73, Dan
Mar 5th 2015, 16:03

KE5VQP

I am in the process of installing a PAR ENDFEDZ 20-40m antenna in the ATTIC. Not sure if this work very well or not...Was wondering if anyone has installed a similar antenna in the ATTIC. I have to contend with the HOA.....I am still contemplating how I can make a more stealthy installation outside......

KE5VQP

EXPLORE ARRL

Instragram     Facebook     Twitter     YouTube     LinkedIn