National Hurricane Conference Announces Amateur Radio Sessions for 2014
Amateur Radio’s role in responding to weather emergencies will be prominent during the National Hurricane Conference April 14-17 in Orlando, Florida. The conference theme is “Improving hurricane preparedness.” ARRL Emergency Preparedness Manager Mike Corey, KI1U, will represent League Headquarters at the event. All ham radio sessions are free. ARRL Southeastern Division Director Doug Rehman, K4AC, called the conference “a great opportunity for Amateur Radio.
“The National Hurricane Conference leadership continues to recognize the valuable contribution of the Amateur Radio Emergency Service and again invited us to participate with three sessions,” Rehman said. “We encourage you to visit and participate in all the activities you can and learn more about Amateur Radio Emergency Service communication.” All three Amateur Radio-oriented sessions will take place Tuesday, April 15.
NHC Session #1 — 10:30 AM to 12 Noon: Presentations from Dr Richard Knabb, Director of the National Hurricane Center; Bob Robichaud, VE1MBR, of the Canadian Hurricane Center, and members of WX4NHC, the Amateur Radio Station at the National Hurricane Center
NHC Session #2 — 1:30 PM to 3 PM: Emergency communication operations in the Orlando area; the 2013 Boston Marathon disaster, and two different views on Hurricane Sandy.
NHC Session #3 — 3:30 PM to 5 PM: The operations of the Hurricane Watch Net (HWN) and the VoIP Hurricane Net, together with an ARRL update and an introduction of ARRL’s new Southeastern Division Director, followed by an Amateur Radio “rap” session — the Emergency Manager’s “Hidden Resource.”
Amateur Radio presentations will be recorded and streamed live on the National Hurricane Conference and VoIPWX websites by James Palmer, KB1KQW. Door prizes will be awarded. Register online or via fax.
2014 National Hurricane Conference Presenters
- Special guest speaker Dr Richard Knabb, Director, National Hurricane Center
- Special guest speaker Bob Robichaud, VE1MBR, Canadian Hurricane Center
- John McHugh, K4AG, WX4NHC Coordinator Amateur Radio, National Hurricane Center
- Julio Ripoll, WD4R, WX4NHC Assistant Coordinator Amateur Radio at NHC
- Rob Macedo, KD1CY, Director of Operations, VoIP Hurricane Net and ARRL ARES Eastern Massachusetts SEC
- Dennis Dura, K2DCD, Assistant Director, Office of Emergency Management NJDHS
- Bobby Graves, KB5HAV, Hurricane Watch Net Manager
- Keith Kotch, KF4BXT, Communications-Warning Coordinator, Orange County, Florida, Emergency Operations Center
- Mike Corey, KI1U, ARRL Emergency Preparedness Manager
- Doug Rehman, K4AC, ARRL Southeastern Division Director