Nominations for ARRL Awards Now Open
Each year, the ARRL Board of Directors has the opportunity to select recipients for a number of awards in various categories that honor Amateur Radio operators. The nomination period is now open for those ARRL awards that recognize educational and technological pursuits in Amateur Radio. There are also awards to honor a young Amateur Radio operator and an outstanding ARRL Section Manager.
- The ARRL Herb S. Brier Instructor of the Year Award: This award will be conferred to an ARRL volunteer Amateur Radio instructor or to an ARRL professional classroom teacher who uses creative instructional approaches and models the highest values of the Amateur Radio community. The award has been focused to reflect quality of instruction and commitment to licensing instruction.
- The Hiram Percy Maxim Award: This award is for a licensed radio amateur under age 21 (and an ARRL member) whose accomplishments and contributions are of the most exemplary nature within the framework of Amateur Radio activities. Nominations for this award need to be made through your Section Manager, who will then forward the nomination to ARRL HQ.
- The ARRL Microwave Development Award: This award is presented to a licensed radio amateur or to individuals who are licensed radio amateurs who contribute to the development of the Amateur Radio microwave bands.
- The ARRL Technical Service Award: This award recognizes a licensed radio amateur or to individuals who are licensed radio amateurs who provide Amateur Radio technical assistance or training to others.
- The ARRL Technical Innovation Award: This award is granted to a licensed radio amateur or to individuals who are licensed radio amateurs who develop and apply new technical ideas or techniques in Amateur Radio.
- The Knight Distinguished Service Award: This award was established by the ARRL Board of Directors to recognize exceptionally notable contributions by a Section Manager to the health and vitality of the ARRL. The first such award was presented to Joe T. Knight, W5PDY, for whom the award was named, in recognition of his exemplary service not only as the ARRL Section New Mexico Section Manager for more than a quarter century, but also for his willingness time and time again to share his knowledge and skills leadership by volunteering to help train and orient newly elected Section Managers from throughout the country at the invitation of the Field Services Department (now Membership and Volunteer Programs). Nominations for this award should come directly to ARRL Field Organization Supervisor Steve Ewald, WV1X, at ARRL HQ.
Please visit the Awards Nomination web page for specific details and information on how to nominate or submit supporting endorsements. The nomination period for most of these awards extends through March 31. With the exception of the Hiram Percy Maxim Memorial Award and the Knight Distinguished Service Award, nominations should be submitted directly to ARRL HQ. Nominations for the Hiram Percy Maxim Memorial Award need to be submitted to your Section Manager, who will then submit the material to Headquarters.
For more information about these awards, please contact ARRL Field Organization Supervisor Steve Ewald, WV1X, via e-mail or by telephone at 860-594-0265.