From electrical storms to hurricanes to tornadoes to earthquakes and even to the most chaotic of ham radio activities, Field Day, emergency power and the amateur radio service are bound together. However gasoline generators, windmills and solar panels, although impressive, are no more essential than the lowly battery. Deep cycle and gel-cell batteries are usually indispensable when putting together an effective emergency power system.
- Lab Notes - Emergency Power
It's nearly time for the most popular operating event of the year-Field Day!
- Practical Battery Back-Up Power for Amateur Radio Stations - Part 1
QST March 1990, pp. 34-37
Many radio amateurs use batteries only in low-power, portable/mobile applications. This three part series covers how to use batteries to keep a ham station going when commercial ac power fails.
- Practical Battery Back-Up Power for Amateur Radio Stations - Part 2
QST April 1990, pp. 32-35
QST May 1990, p.39
- Practical Battery Back-Up Power for Amateur Radio Stations - Part 3
QST May 1990, pp. 25-27
- Solar Power for Your Ham Station-It's Easier than You Think
QST April 1996, pp. 33-37
Everything you need to know to operate your 100 watt station exclusively by solar/battery power.
- A Solar-Powered Field Day
QST May 1995, pp. 60-63
Run a whole station off a small gel-cell battery replenished by a solar panel.
- Watts From Wind
QST July 1977, pp. 15-19
Put together a wind powered generator.
- Alternative Energy--An Overview of Options and Requirements--Part 1
QST September 1987, pp. 17-21
A view for using sun, water and wind energy to power your station.
- Alternative Energy--An Overview of Options and Requirements--Part 2
QST October 1987, pp. 19-23
- How to Choose and Use a Portable Power Generator
QST June 1999, pp. 59-61
- The 12 Volt Pup: A DC Generator You Can Build
QST June 1997, pp.45-48
50 AMP generator from a lawn-mower and an alternator
- June 2012 QST comparison review of inverter generators.
- Cook Up Your Own Emergency Power Pack, by Alex KR1ST, describes an Emergency Power Pack using an Everstart hybrid battery and float charger. This is a simple project and the description is illustrated with pictures.
OSHA Fact sheet on Grounding Requirements for Portable generators.