Batteries are the most common way of powering equipment not connected to the electric grid--making this topic of vital interest to nearly every ham. The care and feeding of batteries is a very popular topic, not just among hams, but nearly everyone these days.
- Which Battery Should You Use in Your Equipment?
QST April 1999, p. 40-42
NiCd, NiMH, Alkaline, etc ... How do they differ from one another, and which is best for your application?
- Nickel-Metal-Hydride Batteries in Amateur Radio Applications
QST September 1994, pp. 38-39
Meet the newest power source for portable equipment: the NiMH battery
- A NiCd Never Forgets. Or Does It?
QST November 1994, pp. 70-71
A discussion of memory effect.
- A Smart Charger For Nickel-Cadmium Batteries
QST September 1994, pp. 40-42
Recharge your Hand-held's battery pack FAST, with this easy weekend project
- The Ubiquitous, Notorious NiCd
QST June 1995, p. 74
Technical Correspondence - NiCd battery memory effect
- Testing Rechargeable Alkaline Batteries - and More
QEX April 1996, pp. 3-12
The ARRL Lab investigates those rechargeable Alkaline batteries.
- A Battery-Voltage Indicator
QST October 1998, pp. 50-51
Here's a quick and inexpensive project that allows you to keep tabs on your battery's condition.
- Honey, They've Shrunk the Batteries!
QST December 2001, pp. 31-35
A rundown on today’s popular batteries, their uses, characteristics and care.
- Getting the Most Out of Nickel-Cadmium Batteries
QST February 1992, pp. 40-45
Help for separating NiCd fact from fiction.
- Battery University
A wealth of information on batteries.
- Frequently Asked Questions - Batteries
- Car and Deep Cycle Battery FAQ
Tips, information, references and hyperlinks about car, motorcycle, truck, marine, recreational vehicle starting and deep cycle applications.
Battery FAQ, Battery Myths, Battery6 charger FAQ
- Recycle Your Rechargeable Batteries
The proper way to dispose of rechargeable batteries.