ARRL

Register Account

Login Help

Forum Home - Rules - Help - Login - Forgot Password
Members can access, post and reply to the forums below. Before you do, please first read the RULES.

Inverted v configuration around a corner??

Jul 4th 2016, 21:48

ND9Y

Total Topics: 0
Total Posts: 0
Will a g5rv work to any degree if I install it around a corner of my house with the apex at the corner up about 30' and the legs down the side of the house at 90 degrees to each other? Trying to keep it out of sight.
Jul 5th 2016, 12:54

W1VT

Super Moderator

Any antenna is better than no antenna. But, an antenna close that close to the house is likely to pick up radiated common mode signals from nearby lighting and appliances--you may have difficulty with reception. If you have issues with a HOA, you might consider putting up a display of the American Flag, using a metal flagpole.

http://www.nolo.com/legal-encyclopedia/can-your-hoa-prohibit-you-from-flying-your-favorite-flag.html

Zack W1VT
ARRL Senior Lab Engineer
Aug 5th 2016, 14:03

N0NB

90 degrees is getting rather tight. I've never tried an antenna in that tight of a configuration. It may exhibit some interesting directional characteristics.

Right now the doublet I am using has about a 160 degree angle in the horizontal plane. I cannot detect any sort of operational issue. The doublet is about 205 feet overall, fed at the center with 450 ohm ladder line with the apex at 40 feet and the ends at about 25 feet. I use it with a large tuner on 160 and 80/75m. I will sometimes use it on the higher bands if it appears to have an advantage over the fan dipole I also have up.

A few years back I added 160m to my 80/75m doublet by adding 33 feet of wire to each end of the old doublet. The original doublet ran along the back of the rental lot and there was not enough room to extend it along the back side. At each front corner of the narrow lot stood a utility pole. I ran the attachments to the poles and the angle was slightly more than 90 degrees. The antenna continued to perform well enough on 80/75m and allowed me to get on 160m after a number of years absence.

73, Nate
N0NB.us

EXPLORE ARRL

Instragram     Facebook     Twitter     YouTube     LinkedIn