ARRL

Register Account

Login Help

Forum Home - Rules - Help - Login - Forgot Password
Members can access, post and reply to the forums below. Before you do, please first read the RULES.

End Feed Antenna Wire

May 10th 2012, 03:57

KC7AJL

Total Topics: 0
Total Posts: 0
New to Ham Radio, 73 years old, not real technical by any means and live in a HOA restricted complex. So restricted the "HOA Committee" uses dental floss as toilet paper. End of jokes, but a serious question. What is the possibility using a single end fed wire antenna and RX/TX effects on HF, but limited to a max of 80 feet in length with a ninety degree bend in the center. 40' running east to west and then 40' north to south along our property line? Any suggestions would be appreciated.

KC7AJL
moveon334@gmail
May 10th 2012, 13:08

KB0HAE

It is possible to use such an antenna, more details would be helpful. In general, the higher the antenna, the better it will work. You will probably need to use a tuner. The farther the antenna is from anyone's home electronics, the less the chance of problems in that area. A good station ground and/or a counterpoise is a good idea.

I would suggest doing some reading on end-fed wire antennas, and stealth antennas.
May 10th 2012, 13:11

W1VT

Super Moderator

Congress passed a law that prevents HOAs from impinging on your right to put up a reasonable display of an American Flag. A popular solution that seems to work is to put up an aluminum flagpole, insulated from the ground, and also use it as an antenna. You can buy commercial versions. You also need a radial system for it to be effective.

Freedom to Display the American Flag Act of 2005

This may be preferable to a "hidden" antenna which may eventually be found by the enforcement committee.

Zack Lau W1VT
ARRL Senior Lab Engineer
May 13th 2012, 01:11

WA7RBC

A friend of mine recently worked a Russian station on 20M using 10 watts and an 'L" shaped antenna similar to your description. He got the one he's using here: http://www.lnrprecision.com/. These are single-band antennas.

I've had a lot of QSOs with hams using attic antennas, usually some variation of a standard dipole. For instance, a 44 foot center-fed dipole (22 feet on each side), fed with ladder line and tuned with a balanced tuner, works well on 10 through 40 meters. While this is a versatile setup, you do have to deal with the nuances of ladder line which might not be your cup of tea.

Good luck! --Ron.
May 20th 2012, 07:06

WB8ZTP

Allan (KC7AJL) - There's some good information in the General Technical Q & A section of the ARRL Forums. It's on page 2 of that section with a heading Longwire Antenna. I had some of the same questions you have awhile back myself.

Mark
WB8ZTP
May 29th 2012, 18:42

KC7AJL

Thanks for everyone's input. Single end fed may be the only way to go, due to the homes layout there is no opportunity for a counter poise for a vertical, or room in the attic for a wire. I may go with a low cost vertical at the rear of the house just to see what comes back at me from the HOA. Stay tuned and thanks again.

EXPLORE ARRL

Instragram     Facebook     Twitter     YouTube     LinkedIn