Recognize volunteer excellence in PR
The Annual Philip J. McGan Memorial
Silver Antenna Award
Throughout the year hundreds of ARRL PICs, PIOs and other PR volunteers strive to keep Amateur Radio visible in their communities by publicizing special events, writing press releases, creating media for radio and television, and maintaining good relations with local media among many other valuable activities. Their efforts benefit us all. If you know someone who has achieved public relations success on behalf of Amateur Radio, nominating him or her for the McGan award is the perfect way to say thank you.
The award’s namesake, Journalist Philip J. McGan, WA2MBQ (SK), served as the first chairman of the ARRL’s Public Relations Committee, which helped reinvigorate the League’s commitment to public relations.
Unfortunately, Phil never got to see how well his efforts paid off. In honor of Phil, his friends in the New Hampshire Amateur Radio Association joined with the ARRL Board of Directors to pay a lasting tribute to the important contributions he made on behalf of Amateur Radio.
The McGan award will go to that ham who has demonstrated success in Amateur Radio public relations and best exemplifies the volunteer spirit of Phil McGan.
Public Relations activities for which the McGan Award is presented include efforts specifically directed at bringing Amateur Radio to the public’s attention (and most often the media’s) in a positive light. This may include traditional methods, like news releases, or non-traditional methods, such as hosting a radio show or being an active public speaker. If you’re considering nominating someone in your area for the award, please ask yourself if your candidate’s work fits the public relations definition. PR is fundamentally getting a message out to people while public service is providing a service.
The ARRL Public Relations Committee will determine a winner, if any, from submitted material, subject to approval by the ARRL Board of Directors.
CALL FOR NOMINATIONS
1) The award is given only to an individual (not a group), who must be a full ARRL member in good standing at the time of nomination. The nominee must not be compensated for any public relations work involving Amateur Radio (including payment for articles) and may not be a current officer, director, vice director or paid staff member, or a member of the current selection committee.
2) The winner of the Philip J. McGan Memorial Silver Antenna Award will demonstrate volunteer public relations success on behalf of Amateur Radio at the local, state or national level, and will live up to the high standard of achievement exemplified by Philip J. McGan.
3) Anyone may make a nomination.
4) Deadline: Nominations must be received at ARRL HQ in Newington by
5PM May 25 2013.
Nominations arriving after the deadline or without an entry form cannot be considered.
5) Eligible nominations will be screened by the ARRL PUblic Relations Committee, which will forward its recommendation to the Programs and Services Committee of the ARRL Board of Directors. The Board will make a final determination at its July meeting and the winner will be notified shortly thereafter.
6) Nominations must be on an official entry form, available from ARRL Headquarters or you can download from this Web page in .pdf format. The nomination will include a written summary whenever possible.
To obtain the required entry formdownload the .pdf file below or e-mail email@example.com. Ask for an official Philip J. McGan Memorial Silver Antenna Award entry form.
7) Return the completed entry form and supporting materials to: Philip J. McGan Memorial Silver Antenna Award, PR Department, ARRL, 225 Main St., Newington, CT 06111.
2013 McGan Nomination Form
Download this form, print it out and use for 2013 nominations
Past McGan Award Winners
Re: McGan Award by date of receiving award
(note that it is for work done the previous 12 months)
1992 McGan announced for 1st time
1992 James Heil KB5AWM
1993 Gary Pearce KN4AQ
1994 Joe Phillips K8QOE and Michael Karp AF2L
1995 Len Winkler KB7LPW
1996 Bob Josuweit WA3PZO
1997 James Biddle WB3DCL & Beverly Priest, N8VZV
1998 Stephan Anderman K2SMA
1999 Peter Coffee AC6EN
2000 Diane Ortiz K2DO
2001 Bill Morine N2COP
2002 Sherri Brower W4STB
2003 Tim Lewallen KD5ING
2004 Mike Duff KG4SLH
2005 Jerry Martin KC9BDA
2006 Dee Logan, W1HEO
2007 Dan McMonigle N3IXQ
2008 Walt J. Palmer, W4ALT
2009 Nate Brightman, K6OSC
2010 Norm Lauterette, WA4HYJ
2011 Angel Santana, WP3GW
2012 Ted Luebbers, K1AYZ