ARRL

ARRL Sections - Sacramento Valley

Sacramento Valley

Sacramento Valley

Contact Information

Section Name:
Sacramento Valley
Contact:
Dr. Carol Milazzo, KP4MD
Daytime Phone:
(916) 782-3786
Evening Phone:
(916) 879-7449
Email:
kp4md@arrl.org

Basic Information

Division:
Pacific
Alert:

Eric June KU6J, Silent Key

It is with deep sorrow that we announce the unexpected passing on January 8, 2016 of Eric June, KU6J, of Truckee, CA.  Eric was a great cw operator, traffic handler, member of our California Traffic Net, and ARRL Official Relay Station.  

Eric was most recently a Summits on the Air (SOTA) activator and Northern Sierra region manager for SOTA.  He will be sorely missed.

Visit our Section website at www.arrlsacvalley.org for the latest updates.

NPOTA 2016

From the Section Manager

Here is the latest news from our section clubs and members. You can still send items for the February news to kp4md@arrl.org. This news page is usually updated on the weekend after submissions are received.

If you haven't seen them, I encourage you to visit our website at www.arrlsacvalley.org and ourFacebook and Twitter pages. The website offers multimedia content, web resource integration, ease of navigation and improved readability, especially on tablet devices. We have also started an archive of past section news pages. This is a work in progress and we solicit your suggestions for improvement. We will also continue to maintain our ARRL National website page.

Do drop by and say hello at our Amateur Radio booth if you plan to attend the California Four Wheel Drive Assn. Convention at the Marriott Rancho Cordova on February 20. 

73, Carol Milazzo KP4MD
ARRL Sacramento Valley Section Manager
kp4md(at)arrl.org

You can always send compliments, suggestions and submissions for inclusion in our Section News to kp4md (at) arrl.org

Description:

SACRAMENTO VALLEY SECTION WEB RESOURCES

Section News: www.arrlsacvalley.org
Section Nets: www.qsl.net/w6tee/nets.html
Sacramento Valley ARES: www.sacvalleyares.org
Facebook: www.facebook.com/ARRLSacramentoValley
Twitter: www.twitter.com/ARRL_SV

Thanks to Greg Kruckewitt KG6SJT for maintaining our Section ARES web page and assisting with our new Facebook page and Twitter feed.
Thanks to Les Cobb W6TEE for maintaining the Section Net list.

ARRL Affiliated Club web resources are now listed on this web page

-------------------------------------------------

ARRL Conventions and Hamfests

-------------------------------------------------

ARRL SACRAMENTO VALLEY SECTION NEWS February 2016

-------------------------------------------------

California National Historic Trail

The California National Historic Trail - NPOTA (TR14)
Posted January 31, 2016

The California National Historic Trail (TR14) divides into many miles of branches within Northern California that offer plentiful opportunities to learn about our history and to conduct NPOTA activations throughout the Sacramento Valley Section. No admission fee is required along most of the trail. NPOTA trail activations only need be conducted within 100 feet of the trail itself.  Operation from private property is prohibited unless permission has been received.

Be sure to read the NPOTA trail activation rules and instructions and register your NPOTA activation for a truly enjoyable experience and public outreach!

Visit the National Parks Service interactive map to find the California National Historic Trail and associated points of interest near you. NPOTA activations may be conducted with permission from sites along the trail not under NPS administration, such as Sutter's Fort in Sacramento,  In fact, activations anywhere along the trail routes, even in urban areas with proper permission, may offer unique challenges and opportunities!

-------------------------------------------------

New Year’s Day SOTA/NPOTA Activation
from Jordan KJ6NHF
Posted January 31, 2016

 


KJ6NHF NPOTA/SOTA Activation

New Year’s Day marked the beginning of the National Parks On The Air event. NPOTA, is a year long event sponsored by the ARRL to help celebrate the National Park Service’s 100th year anniversary.

While visiting with family in southern California during the holidays, I had made tentative plans to make a Summits On The Air Activation in Joshua Tree National Park on New Year’s Day. As the summit was in the National Park, I decided to make a joint SOTA and NPOTA Activation

There was an active solar storm earlier in the week with the Planetary K Index reaching as high as 7, so I decided to wait and see what the solar conditions were going to be like the morning of my Activation. It is very frustrating to try to operate a low power, portable station when the propagation conditions are against you. That morning the propagation reports and forecasts were favorable so I left Orange County at 5 A.M. and arrived at the trail-head before 8 A.M.. Inspiration Peak is 5,580 feet high and overlooks Palm Springs. It is a relatively easy one mile hike with about 700 feet of elevation gain. I reached the peak and was on the air a little after 9 A.M.

I was using my Elecraft KX3 with a new 45 watt backpacking amp for the first time. I ran the amp at 30 watts through a PAC-12, 1/4 wave, vertical ground mounted antenna. I operated on both 20 and 40 meters SSB for less then two hours and made a total of 138 contacts.

I didn’t arrive home to Placerville until 9 P.M., but it was well worth the effort to be able to visit Joshua Tree once again. I was very pleased with the number of contacts I made and I have plans to make more joint SOTA and NPOTA activations in 2016. Since participation in NPOTA requires that all logs must be entered using Logbook of the World, I also hope to earn my Worked All States Award by the end of the year.

Jordan, KJ6NHF

-------------------------------------------------

Amateur Radio Licensing Class and Exam in Chico
Posted January 31, 2016

Golden Empire Amateur Radio Society (GEARS) Will be holding a Technician cram Session on Feb 6th and we will test on the 7th. The location is the Search & Rescue classroom in Chico. We will start at 9:00 AM until 5:00 PM. Any questions call Gene Wright WA6ZRT (530) 345-3515. No charge for the class. The test will start at 2:00 PM on Sunday. The cost of the test is $6.50
I hope that we have a good turn out. Right now I know that we have 4 candidates. We could use more.

Gene Wright WA6ZRT, GEARS

-------------------------------------------------

Sacramento Amateur Radio Licensing Classes
Posted January 9, 2016

The Sacramento Sheriff's Amateur Radio Program will offer the following at the Sacramento Sheriff's Central Division, 7000 65th Street, Sacramento, CA 95823.

Class duration is from 6-9 pm.  
For further information EMAIL nm3s@bluebottle.com

-------------------------------------------------

Volunteer Exam (VE) Schedule Updates

-------------------------------------------------

Yuba-Sutter ARC Volunteer Exam Session
Posted January 31, 2016

The next VE session will be 5 March at 715 King Ave., Yuba City at 9:00 A.M. VE’s are needed to administer the exam. The elements for Technician, General and Extra class will be offered.

If you are planning on taking an exam you will need two forms of ID, at least one of them must be a picture ID. A fee of $15.00 is required. A calculator may also be used as long as it has had all of its memories cleared and there are no built in or preprogrammed formulas.

If you are upgrading to a higher class you need to bring your license and a photocopy of the license.

If you take an exam and pass, you can take the next higher class exam for no additional cost. If you do not pass and wish to try again an additional fee will be required.

-------------------------------------------------

BARK Repeater Club Volunteer Exam Session
Posted January 31, 2016

The BARK Repeater Club Will be sponsoring an FCC Licensing Test session:
Date: Feb 06 2016, Time: 7:30 AM - 9:00 AM (Walk-ins allowed)
Contact: Kenneth R. Wilson, (530) 305-4088,
Email: gramps55@gmail.com, VEC: ARRL/VEC

Location: LDS Chapel, 1405 Cottonwood St, Woodland CA 95695

Greg Kruckewitt, KG6SJT, ARRL Sacramento Valley Section District 3 Emergency Coordinator

-------------------------------------------------

Folsom ARRL Volunteer Exam Schedule
Posted December 22, 2015

Here is our updated exam scheduled for the first part of 2016:

  1. Thursday January 21
  2. Thursday February 18
  3. Thursday March 17
  4. Thursday April 21
  5. Thursday May 19
  6. Thursday June 16

All exams start at 6:00 pm.

Round Table Pizza (Small private room by the front door), 2793 E Bidwell St, Suite 100, Folsom, CA 95630
For information see http://ns6q.net/exams or contact Mike Kirkland, NS6Q at radio.ns6q@gmail.com.
73, Mike, NS6Q

-------------------------------------------------

SHINGLETOWN ARRL VE 2016 schedule

Test location: SHINGLETOWN AREA RESOURCE CENTER, 31268 HWY 44 SUITE C, SHINGLETOWN, CA. 96088 Next door to the Post Office.
Testing begins at 10:00 AM. Candidates should arrive 15 to 30 minutes early. We accept walk ins.
Contact: Dar Walker W6IO, Shingletown ARRL VE Liaison, Wa6mxh@frontiernet.net, 530-474-3087

2016 SCHEDULE: Feb 20, Apr 16, Jun 18, Aug 20, Oct 15, Dec 17

Thank you and Happy Holidays, Dar Walker W6IO

-------------------------------------------------

From Norm Lucas, WB6RVR, Official Observer Coordinator
Posted January 11, 2016

Do you have what it takes to be an ARRL "Official Observer?"

FCC Amateur Auxiliary

The Official Observer (OO) program has been sponsored by the ARRL for more than 85 years to help Amateur Radio operators assist each other to operate their stations in compliance with Federal Communications Commission (FCC) regulations.
Official Observer appointees have assisted thousands of Amateur Radio operators to maintain their transmitting equipment and comply with operating procedures and regulations. The object of the OO program is to notify amateurs of operating and technical irregularities before they come to the attention of the FCC and to recognize good operating practices.
The OO program serves as the first line of "eyes and ears" for the FCC. It is the backbone of the Amateur Auxiliary. OOs are certified in the Auxiliary by passing a mandatory written examination.
The OO performs his/her function by observing rather than transmitting. They keep watch for such things as frequency instability, harmonics, hum, key clicks, broad signals, distorted audio, over deviation, out-of-band operation and other potential problems. The OO completes his/her task once the notification card is sent.
In substantive rule violations cases, OOs refer problems to ARRL HQ. After review by HQ staff, the OO may be requested to provide additional information that may be forwarded to the FCC for possible enforcement action.

Responsibilities:

  • Reporting to the ARRL Section OO Coordinator monthly on Form FSD-23.
  • Sending out advisory notices as needed.
  • Submitting good operator reports as warranted.

Requirements:

  • Recommendation of ARRL Section Manager
  • Pass an examination based on study of the ARRL's Amateur Auxiliary Training Manual
  • Full ARRL membership
  • Technician class license or higher for at least four years

The exam for becoming an OO is administered by US Mail from ARRL Headquarters in Newington, CT. All of the study materials and exam are provided by the League, and you can complete the exam at your own pace. It is the only appointed position where the candidate is required to successfully pass an exam, prior to their appointment. Interested and qualified amateurs can start the application process by going to the following link: http://www.arrl.org/fsd-187-application-for-station-appointment

If you need further information about the OO program, or would like someone to speak about the OO program at your next club meeting, please contact:
Norm Lucas (WB6RVR)
ARRL Official Observer Coordinator (SV)
wb6rvr@aol.com
916-284-3737

-------------------------------------------------

From Duane Wyatt, WAØMJD, Section Youth Coordinator
Posted January 31, 2016

March 5 - Sacramento County History Day Exhibit

Duane Wyatt asks for volunteers to assist at an amateur radio demonstration at Sacramento County History Day at Inderkum High School, 2500 New Market Dr, Sacramento, CA 95835.  Please e-mail duanewyatt@hotmail.com if you wish to participate

Duane Wyatt, WAØMJD,
ARRL Sacramento Valley Section Youth Coordinator
duanewyatt@hotmail.com
(916) 677-9799

-------------------------------------------------

Placer County ARES News
Posted January 31, 2016

In January the Placer County ARES group started with a new leadership team. John Hestenes (NT6ET) is the EC. Bob Brodovsky (K6UDA) is the AEC for Training, HF Teams and Ops-EC- Assistant . Carl First (N6CKV) is the AEC for VHF-Teams and Special Projects Coordinator. George Simmons (KG6LSB) is the AEC for Net Control Operations. Marty Machado (W6TOC) is the AEC for County Agencies Liaison & Logistics.

At the January 2, 2016, Placer County ARES Quarterly General Meeting we began three major thrusts:

  1. Development of a “Distributed Database (DDB)”, on USB thumb drives for each member, which is to contain only relevant, operations-related information files and which can be accessed by each member in situations when there is no internet access.
  2. Revision of qualifications for membership, deployment-ready status and various specialties. Along with this is a start on developing a “Friends of ARES” group to develop relationships with interested county agencies and entities, and including local radio operators that are not ARES members.
  3. Planning for the upcoming, county-wide Mass Casualty Incident (MCI 2016) exercise which is scheduled for May.

Submitted by John Hestenes, Placer County ARES EC.

Congratulations to John on his appointment as Placer County EC!

-------------------------------------------------

February 6 - Sacramento County ARES Training
Amateur Radio Emergency Service

The Sacramento County ARES February training meeting will be Saturday, February 6, from 0900-1200 hours at the Sac County Sheriff, 7000 65th St, Sacramento, CA 95823. 

-------------------------------------------------

 

Modoc County Emergency Club K6MER Repeater

Update from Modoc County ARES EC
from Jim Linden N7JIL
Posted February 2, 2016

Modoc County ARES Emergency Coordinator Jim Linden, N7JIL sends this photo after the recent snows.

He writes, "Lots of snow here in Modoc and repeater antennas have several inches of ice crusted on them.  Cuts down coverage a lot.  See attached."

Jim Linden/N7JIL
ARES Emergency Coordinator, Modoc County
n7jil@arrl.net
Modoc Emergency Radio Club/K6MER
https://www.facebook.com/KK6DJX

-------------------------------------------------

ARRL Sacramento Valley Section Technical Coordinator, VHF Award Manager, HF Award Manager and DXCC Award Manager Bob, WB6VYH reminds us he can count cards and check applications for VUCC and WAS and DXCC...............

Bob will be at some of the Ham Swaps this year and most likely Ham Club meetings throughout Northern California.
Bob will also be doing NPOTA at some of the parks and monuments in northern California and will be able to do applications there too.

Please contact Bob ahead of time at wb6vyh@arrl.net or 4wortman@comcast.net for information and appointment.

Bob, WB6VYH

-------------------------------------------------

National Parks on the Air commences January 1, 2016

http://www.arrl.org/NPOTA

In 2016, the National Parks Service (NPS) will celebrate its 100th anniversary, and radio amateurs will be able to help mark the occasion with the ARRL National Parks on the Air (NPOTA) event. The fun begins at 0000 UTC on January 1, 2016.
NPS entities within the Sacramento Valley Section are:

*Although some sites such as Sutter's Fort and the B.F. Hastings Building are under California State Parks administration, NPOTA activations may be conducted there with appropriate permission.  "Operations within 100 feet of National Historic Trails are permitted at any point along the route.  Operations from private property must receive permission."  See NPOTA Rules 13(k) and (m).

ARRL headquarters advises amateur radio operators to contact and register with the corresponding local NPS unit administration in advance to inform them of planned NPOTA operations within their entity. Visit http://www.arrl.org/NPOTA for more information.  Follow NPOTA activation updates on npota.arrl.org,Facebook and Twitter.

-------------------------------------------------

Volunteer Exam (VE) Schedule Updates
Posted December 22, 2015

Folsom ARRL Volunteer Exam Schedule
Here is our updated exam scheduled for the first part of 2016:

  1. Thursday January 21
  2. Thursday February 18
  3. Thursday March 17
  4. Thursday April 21
  5. Thursday May 19
  6. Thursday June 16

All exams start at 6:00 pm.

Round Table Pizza (Small private room by the front door), 2793 E Bidwell St, Suite 100, Folsom, CA 95630
For information see http://ns6q.net/exams or contact Mike Kirkland, NS6Q at radio.ns6q@gmail.com.
73, Mike, NS6Q

SHINGLETOWN ARRL VE 2016 schedule

Test location: SHINGLETOWN AREA RESOURCE CENTER, 31268 HWY 44 SUITE C, SHINGLETOWN, CA. 96088 Next door to the Post Office.
Testing begins at 10:00 AM. Candidates should arrive 15 to 30 minutes early. We accept walk ins.
Contact: Dar Walker W6IO, Shingletown ARRL VE Liaison, Wa6mxh@frontiernet.net, 530-474-3087

2016 SCHEDULE: Feb 20, Apr 16, Jun 18, Aug 20, Oct 15, Dec 17

Thank you and Happy Holidays, Dar Walker W6IO

-------------------------------------------------

Update from the River City ARCS
Posted January 31, 2016

PRESIDENTS MESSAGE

Last month there were 43 paid members, we now have 56. Thanks to all of you who have renewed their membership for the 2016 year. PayPal is available if you don’t want to pay by check or cash to renew your membership.

Our January meeting featuring Jordan, KJ6NHF gave all of us a primer on SOTA. If you weren’t there . . .

This month we will hear from Chris Huber, N6ICW (with assistance from Andy, W6AWS). If you ever wondered how our repeater system works, the intricacies, theory and operation will be explained.

Also in February on the 20th, we will be helping new hams who enjoy 4wd program their new radios. If you are available at the Marriott Rancho Cordova from 10-4 to help, let one of the officers or Board members know.

Our new Board met for the first time and continued to plan for the 2016 year. We are looking forward to the Club picnic, Farm and Tractor Days, and Field Day.

In March, Phil Sittner, KD6RM will demonstrate his 80 and 40 meter mag loop antenna. Our April meeting will prepare us for our fox hunt at the picnic.

Carol, KP4MD reported there were 2445 page views on our Web Site. All of us owe Carol a debt of gratitude for maintaining a great up-to-date place to find information for us and the world.

Again, our net control operators are keeping a list of program ideas for future meetings. Check in to the net and help us make plans for the future.

See you at the meeting, Bob, N6PGQ

-------------------------------------------------

Update from the Golden Empire ARS
Posted January 31, 2016

QST de KA6GND

Hello all, I hope that with all of the rain that we have been having it is giving you some time on the air, communicating in whatever your mode and band of choice is!! It was wonderful seeing so many of you at our first club meeting of this year. Our next general club meeting will be held on Friday February 19th. Our program will be a mystery guest speaker, actually several so come on out and join into the fun!

Thank you to our teaching team of Rick -KI6VOS, Tom –W6JS, Michael – N6FAV and Chair Gene – WA6ZRT for your hard work and expertise in putting on the one-day Tech (Technician) class this coming Saturday morning at 9am – FB (fine business) on that Team! Thanks also go to Tom and the VE (Volunteer Examiner) team for the testing session this coming Sunday afternoon at 2pm.

We held the first Board meeting of the new year and I am excited and confident that we will accomplish a lot of great new things as a club this year. Thank you Rick, KI6VOS for taking on the role of Net Manager in organizing and streamlining the Tuesday night 2 meter net control operators, we appreciate everyone’s time as NCS (Net Control Station) each week. Everyone, if you have 2 meter capability please check in to the net, share what’s going on with you during the roundtable, let your signal be heard!

We are planning a wonderful Field Day this year. Michael Favor N6FAV has agreed to be Field Day Chair this year, so mark your calendar for June 24-26. Michael will be looking for the help of many to make this a huge, fun, interesting and educational event. Any time during that weekend that you can participate would be valuable, so let Michael know how you would like to participate.

This month we will be holding our first club breakfast in many years on February 27th at 9am at the Farmer’s Skillet located at the corner of Rio Lindo and Cohasset Rd, just off of Mangrove in Chico. We will join together in their back room to eat, laugh and tell tall ham stories. Come on out and meet new hams and rekindle old friendships.

A survey will be coming to you soon regarding our club. The club is nothing without it’s members and so your input is so much appreciated and valued. We are looking for your input on what the club means to you, what you would like to get out of the club and put in to it.

Our club is made up of varied years of experience and knowledge. I will endeavor to ensure that we as a club are inclusive and helpful to our newer hams and those to come down the wire soon. That’s why as you may notice in this article I spell out acronyms as we all may not know what they stand for. Look for more of these types of things this year at the club meetings. We need to be mentors to the new as mentors once were to most of us as we entered this incredible hobby.

“The Sky’s the Limit With Amateur Radio”

73 (best regards), Larry Marcum, KA6GND, GEARS President

-------------------------------------------------

Update from the Oroville ARS
Posted January 31, 2016

Greetings from the Oroville area,

The good news from the rain here (and snow in the Sierras) is that Lake Oroville is now less than 200 feet from its crest and rising slowly, but has room for a lot more water. The Palmyra and South Sandwich/South Georgia Islands DXpeditions have provided a delightful bit of distraction to those of us who chase the DX. W7XZ had the good fortune to get into VP8STI's (ATNO) log on 30, 20 and 17M, and K5P's on 30-10M (not ATNO, but added Phone and Data modes and five new bands for Palmyra). South Georgia Island (ATNO for this station if worked), VP8SGI, is on the air as this month ends.

OARS (http://w6af.org) held its January meeting on the 18th, with 22 in attendance. Election of 2016 officers was the first order of the evening, and the Board for this year is: President Joe Herman, WA6CAL; Vice President Erik Bayer, AF6EF; Secretary (staying on for another term) Dorence Young, WB6FBQ; Treasurer Gerry Vrooman, N6GCV; Board Members at large (also staying on for another term) Bennett Laskey, K6CEL, and Bill Curran, AG6ZT; most recent Past President Ron Osborne, KD7UHF. The program, presented by new President Joe, WA6CAL, was devoted to Broadband-Hamnet and its practical applications.

The monthly OARS Breakfast took place at Waffle Shop in Oroville on the 30th with a near record twenty five gathering for good food and good company.

The February regular meeting of OARS will take place on the 12th, 7 pm, at St. Paul's Parish Hall, 1430 Pine Street in Oroville. The doors are expected to open at 6 for a social hour prior to the meeting. The next major event for the club is providing communications assistance for the Feather Fiesta Days Parade in early May.

All the best to you and yours, Jim, W7XZ

-------------------------------------------------

Update from the Yuba-Sutter ARC
Posted January 31, 2016

PRESIDENTS COMMENTS

Calling all Volunteers! The club is in need of people to step up and manage upcoming events for the club. Without your support the club can not add more activities to the schedule. I would love to see more events added; however, that means more involvement is required! To those who have donated your time for the growth of our hobby thank you. As your president for 2016 I will do my best to serve the club and make it grow; however, It can’t happen if the membership does not support the club. So remember I can only do as much as the membership wants.

Bike around the buttes will be April 16, and we are looking for volunteers for the event. The next general meeting will be held at the Yuba County Library at 7pm and Steve (K6TAZ) will be presenting on emergency preparedness and ARES. It is a good topic for our wet winter and upcoming spring. The next board meeting will be at the Red Cross on the 16th of February at 6:00pm. All are welcome to come to a club board meeting. If you have any ideas for the club, would like to volunteer, or just a complaint, please let me know or any board member know. Let’s make this club something that you can be proud to call yourself a member

Your 2016 president, Chris Price (KD6CP)

-------------------------------------------------

Update from the El Dorado County ARC
Posted January 31, 2016

FROM THE PRESIDENT

Here’s hoping that this finds all of you well and as happy as can be.

Things have been getting back to normal From December’s mad rush to do all the things we need to do for family, friends and ourselves. We held out annual Winter Potluck on January 9th which was well attended and very enjoyable. W1RH set a new high bar for raffle prizes and door prizes. This year’s club officers introduced themselves and some very fine food was happily consumed. This is the second year we have delayed our pot-luck to January and it seems to be working out.

On my home front, I decided to use all “hollow” technology from the Heath Company as I have managed to collect a great deal of it. The process of restoring this equipment to good operating condition is proceeding apace requiring also the fabrication of a number of special coax cables. It has been a long project but I hope to get it on the air very soon.

It is not too early to begin planning our field day event, and I hope to initiate a few meetings with our knowledgeable past and present field day coordinators to see how we get this done and to see if we can improve in any way. I know that it is very much a DIY project, but we do have several mutual aid aspects that we do as a group such as the Porta-Potty arrangement and the Pot Luck / meeting.

73, Don, AF6ND

-------------------------------------------------

Update from the North Hills RC
Posted January 31, 2016

The North Hills Radio Club held their first meeting of the new year on January 19. Maynard Wright, W6PAP presented an interesting program on antenna tuners. It was well received.

As many of you know, our club usually has a hamfest on the third Sunday in May. This year will be no exception. However, the hamfest will be moving to a new location, The Carmichael Elks Lodge in Carmichael. This new location is actually an old location. A number of years ago, our club used to hold their meetings as well as the hamfest at the Elks Lodge. With this in mind, please don't show up at Natomas High School on the day of the hamfest or you'll miss out on all of the fun! We would sincerely like to thank Chris Huber, N6ICW and John Dyer, KJ6JD for putting this deal together for us. Please watch our web site www.k6is.org for further details.

The NHRC holds our monthly meetings on the third Tuesday of every month except for December. We meet at the former SMUD building here in Sacramento. It's at the northeast corner of Don Julio and Elkhorn Blvds. It's the same place where our good friends in the River City ARCS meet. If you live within driving distance of Sacramento on a week night, please come and join us.

Until next month, the best of 73 from all of us in the NHRC.
Sincerely, Doug Emerson, President, North Hills Radio Club, Amateur Callsign N6NFF

-------------------------------------------------

Update from the Sierra Foothills ARC
Posted January 31, 2016

Sierra Foothills ARC is in full swing to get Hamfest 2016 going. It happens on Saturday, March 12th from 7:30 - 11am and is an ARRL Sanctioned Hamfest. Location is in the Historic Loomis Train Depot. Last year a bunch of us started planning for the club's first swap. As ARRL PIO I tried to get a flyer or email to everyone in Northern California and Nevada. The 1st Hamfest was a success, so we are trying for an even bigger Hamfest this year. Besides, food & drink, Free Buyers parking, we will have radio demos and a bunch of hourly and main drawing "rewards". more info at: w6ek.org

The first meeting of the year went well. Our new officers got things going without a hitch. New Officers are: Orion Endres, AI6JB, President; Al Martin, NI2U, Vice President; Bruce Anderson, K6BAA, Secretary and Sharron Griffith, KK6RGV as Treasurer. You can see the Directors and other club folks at:http://w6ek.org/officers.html

Our club Meetings are the Second Friday each month. They start at 7:30pm and are held in the Rose Room of the Auburn CIty Hall. The club also hosts a monthly breakfast on the last Saturday at Mel's Diner (on HWY 49 north of I80) at 7:30am Everyone is always welcome to all SFARC events.

We also do ARRL VE testing the first Saturday, monthly, at Raley's on Douglas Blvd. & Auburn-Folsom Road. Starts at 8am, so please plan accordingly. All exams are given and everyone is encouraged to test for their license or upgrade. For more information, go to our website's VE Exams page, or contact: AL Martin, NI2U (530) 885-5112.

Listen in to the club on one of our nets. Every Thursday at 7:30pm is the Club Net. While we read a list for check-ins, everyone is invited to join in. There are satellite reports, ARRL report, club and area announcements and as always a "Mystery Question". Looking for Help? check into the ELMER Net every 1st and 3rd Wednesday nights at 7:30pm. We try to assist new (and older) operators by answering questions, providing guidance and some hands on where needed.

Our nets are held on the club repeater W6EK on 145.430 MHz, -06/ PL 162.2 Hz; 223.860 MHz -1.6/ PL 110.9Hz; 440.575 MHz +5/ PL 162.2 Hz

Happy New Year from SFARC! de WF6J

-------------------------------------------------

Update from the Western Placer ARC
Posted January 19, 2016

The 2016 WPARC Kickoff Party will be this Saturday (January 23) at 6:00 PM. We have confirmed The Old Spaghetti Factory at 731 Sunrise Ave. in Roseville and we have a “party menu” to choose from for dinner. The dinner includes a crisp salad, a main pasta dish, hot fresh baked bread, spumoni ice cream, soft drink, and gratuity. There is a flat charge for this of $20 per person which is quite a deal. Make sure to mark the date in your calendar. The Kickoff Parties are a lot of fun and give us a chance to socialize outside of our regular meetings. Remember to bring your spouse/XYL/significant other. We will also have our new Section Manager, Carol KP4MD, as our special guest. In addition, we have some special drawing prizes to start the new year. Also, remember to wear your club call sign ID.

NETS Wednesday and Thursday! Wednesday we have a 10:00 AM net on the club repeater, K6PAC, and as always, Katy KJ6YCP will be net control . It is a fun net and definitely growing. We will have two nets Thursday starting at 7:30 PM with the 2 meter net, followed by the HF net 5 minutes after the end of the 2 meter net. The 2 meter net will be on K6PAC, the WPARC repeater, at 147.300 (+) 179.9. Bill KJ6YCO is the new net manager. The HF net will be announced on the 2 meter net.

You might have noticed that I said KJ6YCO is the new net manager. Dennis KI6HHA is giving up the post and also his position on the WPARC Board. Unfortunately, Dennis is moving to Woodland and will be reducing his participation in the club. Dennis has been an exceptionally active member, introducing some valuable changes, starting a VE Team, and just generally working to make the club better. Please join me in thanking Dennis for all the effort he has put into the club and to wish him the best in his new QTH.

We do have new club officers for 2016. They are:
Bill KJ6YCO – President
No One – Vice President (lack of interest in the position)
Michael K6BUK – Secretary/Treasurer (we had to combine the Secretary and Treasurer positions due to lack of interest).
Clay K6AEP – Board Membership
Gary WA6IKE – Board Member
Arturo KK6NFB – Board Member
Katy KJ6YCP – Alternate Board Member
Steve N6HTV – Alternate Board Member

Don't forget the the ARRL Sacramento Valley Section has a new website with lots of good information. Check it out at: arrlsacvalley.org

If you know of any other Ham Swaps, Hamfests, or any other ham related events in northern California or western Nevada, email me and I will add them to the newsletter.

Thinking of the events in the Sacramento Valley Section reminded me that there are lots of nets in the area that are sponsored by other clubs. There are many different kinds of nets including HF, VHF, UHF, digital, and SSTV. For a full listing go to this link maintained by Assistant Section Manager Les W6TEE. (Please note new website!) Les does a great job of keeping the page updated:sites.google.com/site/arrlsacvalley/nets. You can also find the page by going to the new Sacramento Valley Section website and clicking on the “Nets” tab.arrlsacvalley.org

Michael Buck, K6BUK, mrbuck@pacbell.net

-------------------------------------------------

Update from SOTARS/QCWA
Posted January 11, 2016

GREETINGS. WELCOME TO THE NEW YEAR !!
Our meeting is Wednesday, January 13th. Lunch is at eleven and Denny's also serves breakfast all day.
As usual the meeting will be called to order at Noon in the restaurant's back room.
The program for this month is a short video on operating ham radio from the International Space Station.

We meet as usual at: Denny's Restaurant, 7900 College Town Drive, Sacramento, Phone (916) 383-7071, Near Howe Ave. and FWY 50
Please come and enjoy the good food and fellowship.
Don't forget our club website at http://sotars-qcwa.webs.com

-------------------------------------------------

Update from the River City ARCS
Posted January 9, 2016

PRESIDENTS MESSAGE

It’s the start of 2016 and I hope all will have a great new year. At the last Board meeting we began planning for the programs and activities we will have throughout the year. Already we have reserved our Field Day site in Rio Linda thanks to Paul, N6DRY. At this time we have 43 paid members. If you haven’t paid your dues yet, you can renew with PayPal on our web page.

I’m looking forward to our January meeting to learn more about Summits on the Air (SOTA). Jordan Heichman, KJ6NHF will be our featured speaker and hopefully encourage us to complete some New Year’s resolutions with this interesting activity. In February, Andy, W6AWS and Chris, N6ICW will discuss repeater function and design. I think our system will be the center of the discussion.

Also in February on the 20th, we will be helping new hams who enjoy 4wd program their new radios. If you are available at the Marriott Rancho Cordova from 10-4 to help, let one of the officers or Board members know.

In March, Phil Sittner, KD6RM will demonstrate his 80 and 40 meter mag loop antenna. For those in antenna restricted neighborhoods, this may prove to be useful to keep on the air.

Remember that our trailer will be at the January meeting so members can clear Club “stuff” out of their QTH and have it safely stored and available.

Our net control operators are keeping a list of program ideas for future meetings. Check in to the net and help us make plans for the future.

See you at the meeting, Bob, N6PGQ

-------------------------------------------------

Update from the Nevada County ARC
Posted January 9, 2016

Message from our Fearless Leader (by our most fearless leader in waiting)

Welcome to 2016.

I think it will be another good year for the NCARC -- we continue to get new members and, as usual, there is lots and lots of technical expertise and experience in the membership.

Let me start the new year off by thanking the club officers of 2015: Larry Latta, K6LRL was our vice-president; Chuck Murphey, KI6CM, was our treasurer; Jon Gicker, WA6TNC, was our secretary.

We also had as board members: Doc Dashiell, NM6K; Dave Tannenbaum, AA6DT; Al Helberg, AA7C.

I have to say that with these officers and board members, the president’s job was a LOT easier.

Larry Latta took on the meeting raffles and finagled some very nice goodies for the raffle. While Larry is relatively new to ham radio, he has jumped in with both feet and is always ready to take on more responsibility and duties.

Chuck Murphey, who has been the treasurer for the last 7-8 years, and Jon Gicker, who has been secretary for the last 8-9 years, are the two who kept the club going administratively.

Chuck handles the finances such as collecting club dues and paying all the bills, as well as preparing a budget and making sure we follow it (I get in a bit of trouble when I submit my Christmas dinner items invoice after the year’s end). As I’ve mentioned previously, Chuck also does a lot more stuff for the club – e.g. collecting the mail at our P.O. Box, arranging for club liability insurance, collecting donated stuff, coordinating with the Salvation Army. He is also the point-of-contact for the club – when someone uses the “contact” tab on our website, that message goes to Chuck who then handles it or forwards it to the appropriate person.

Jon Gicker takes the club meeting minutes and not only writes them up so that us old-timers can remember what we did at a meeting and what we said we would do for the next meeting, but also adds his own special writing style which makes an otherwise somewhat bland document interesting and entertaining. In addition, Jon also handles general correspondence and sends out condolences when we find out a club member is a SK (silent key) and get well cards.

The board members have also been exemplary. Doc Dashiell has been preparing the club newsletter now for a couple of years. And, the newsletter is one of those things that really helps the club. Besides being the means by which we maintain our history, it is interesting and entertaining, especially with Jon’s meeting minutes. Plus, with Doc getting it out a few days before a meeting, it is a reminder to members for the meetings as well as upcoming events.

Dave Tannebaum has been THE man who gets us all those fabulous technical presentation we’ve been having. It isn’t apparent to you, but this takes lots and lots of time and effort. He has to research potential topics and then contact (and re-contact) many people before he gets someone who has a good topic and is willing to come to Grass Valley and give the presentation.

This brings us to Al Helberg, basically our “steath” club and board member. You’ll see Al sitting up front at meetings with an occasional comment or suggestion, but he is always helping with just about everything. Any event --he will be there; the club needs something -- he looks into what is needed and then gets it; someone asks a question or wants a signal check on the repeater -- he is probably the guy who comes back. The projector we use for presentations is Al’s and the safe in the radio room where we keep valuables (after a couple of break-ins at the Salvation Army) is also his. I almost hate to ask him to do anything because I know he will and he’s already done so much for the club.

So, once again, Thank You to the 2015 officers and board members.

And that brings us to the candidates for 2016. President: Larry Latta; VP: me -- Note: Larry will be out of the area for few months of the year and so I’ll be filling in for him at meetings and such; Treasurer: John Hart; Secretary: Jon Gicker (who has offered to do this for the 9th -10th consecutive year, but would really like to get some help and eventually turn this over to someone else).

We’ll present this list of candidates at the meeting and after any discussion, we’ll vote to make them official.

Next, I wanted to talk about our Christmas Dinner/Meeting. I think it went very well. We were worried a bit when we found out, the day of the meeting, that the Salvation Army needed our usual meeting area for a cold-weather shelter and asked us to hold our dinner/meeting in the church. Fortunately, the Salvation Army staff turned the church space into an excellent meeting area for us. There were lots of great dishes and I think everybody enjoyed a good meal and had a nice time. Towards the end of the evening, we held the drawing for the Kenwood TH-F6A Tri-Band handheld and the winner was . . . Alan James, KZ6B. Later, when Chuck counted the receipts for raffle tickets, we had more than paid for the prize which means there was a nice chunk of change to start the 2016 raffle season. Thank you everybody for participating and helping.

The January meeting will mostly club business – we elect the officers for 2016, review and approve the budget and then talk about events we’d like to have during the year and other things we might do at future meetings. For example, I wanted to talk about stuff the club been given over the last few years . We still have lots of items many of them might be of interest to you. I think we can offer them for sale at a meeting, at very reasonable prices. This way we can get some items to people who could use them and also add a few more $$$ to the club funds.

That’s all for this month. Hope to see you at the meeting.

73, Walt, N6HNS

County Amateur Radio Club Minutes

General Meeting on: 2015-12-14

Attendance: A goodly number This meeting was the Club's annual Holiday Party, and because it was a cold night, the Salvation Army opened the meeting room as a homeless shelter and moved us into the church itself. The Salvation Army people set up tables for us and we had our dinner there. It was a perfectly-sized space for us, and I think everyone is very grateful for the Army's hospitality on short notice and for which we thank them. Of course, the church itself is a more formal venue than the meeting hall and I think that was reflected in a slightly less exuberant party than is usual. (No dancing with lampshades on our heads over there!) But your Secretary had a lovely time and I'm sure everyone else did, too. Alan, KZ6B, will no doubt remember the event fondly, as he was the winner of the new radio! The food, as always, was delicious, and thanks go to all the chefs and dishwashers (your Secretary is a dishwasher, obviously), who were responsible for its production. And, it was pleasant to have numerous family members there. And with that cheerful note, this edition of unofficial minutes draws to a conclusion.

May we all have a good 2016!

Respectfully submitted by Jon, WA6TNC, NCARC Secretary.

-------------------------------------------------

Update from the Golden Empire Amateur Radio Society "Radiator"
Posted January 2, 2016

QST de KA6GND

Happy New Year everyone! I look forward to serving as your club president this year, looking at this as a privilege and honor to fill this position in our club that has been a large part of the amateur community since 1939. We have a rich heritage of some amazing amateurs that have filled the airwaves with their voices, code and other modes both now and in years gone by.

I encourage you to contact me or the other Board members with your ideas and suggestions in what GEARS means to you, what you hope for and how you would like to be a part of our club. I intend to lead the club in growing in membership, participation and outreach into the local communities. One of the ways to do this is that I commit to making our monthly meetings fun, educational, inspiring and memorable.

Our club is blessed to currently have 70 members. If we were to accumulate the years of knowledge and experience on the air and at the workbench we would be amazed. I hope that we can make the most of these talents to help each other, to foster friendships on and off the air, and very importantly to help the new Hams to learn and experience all that they can in this incredible hobby that we are part of.

We will be changing a bit in that the Board meetings will now be held on the 2nd Saturday of each month at 2:00 pm. The January Board meeting will be held on Saturday the 9th at Blood Source, 555 Rio Lindo Ave. All members are welcome and encouraged to attend Board meetings.

At the General Meetings on the 3rd Friday each month I encourage you to show up for social eye-ball QSO’s and rag-chewing in with others starting at 6:30. The meeting will start promptly at 7:00 with lots of fun, information, interaction and guest speakers.

If there are areas that you would like to help out in our club please let me know. The Board members cannot do it all. Helen Keller once said, “Alone we can do so little, together we can do so much.” Let’s join together in raising our club and amateur radio in the area to new heights, let’s crank the tower ALL of the way up together. As some of you know, I recently installed an 80’ crank-up tower at my QTH. But did “I”? No, but with the help of many of you it now stands proudly among my pine trees. The first day we soon found that there were not enough of us to raise it up. The next day, with more willing Hams present it was a much easier task and we had fun working together toward a goal. Our club is the same way -we can join together in raising GEARS to new heights.

We are fortunate to have very good club repeaters on 2 meters and 440 with a wide coverage area. Be sure to I.D. when you are monitoring, you just never know who else is out there monitoring, ready to have a QSO! The Tuesday night net on the 2 meter repeater can only be as good as those that check-in and participate – let’s share our ham activities there!

“See” you on the air – Larry Marcum, KA6GND, GEARS President

-------------------------------------------------

Update from the Samuel F. Morse ARC
Posted January 2, 2016

The W6SFM Samuel F. Morse ARC welcomed 11 members and 2 guests to this months SFMARC in-person monthly meeting. This month we greeted our newest member Bob Schuldheiz, K6DGQ from Sacramento, and our guests Ward Myer of Fair Oaks and Andrew Silvester, N6REW of Fair Oaks, CA. Also, a big thank you to all who have helped support the club and the preservation of CW on the bands! All members of the SFM ARC receive a W6SFM.COM email addresses and personal Member webpage where they can proudly display their bios to the public. We encourage our members to post news, photos and other information about themselves as well as their hobbies. Feel free to visit our new member’s page found in the members section of the W6SFM website for a look into them.

Reports of our December in-person meeting:

SFM ARC President Mike, N6MQL called this months meeting to order. Mike read the month’s budget report and announced the final funds available, Including $90 donations presented to Mike N6MQL by the CW Class members at the conclusion of the CW Beginners class. Those who donated asked that $70 of the 90 please be donated to the Church where the classes are held. This was done in consideration of the church providing both the SFM ARC a home for their meetings, and a place for the CW classes to take place, all without charging the club. The remaining $30 total will be used for the purpose of organizing PR booths such as the Kids Day in the Park event, Ranch Cordova and other events where the SFM ARC introduces Ham Radio and Morse Code to Children and the general public. If you would like to contribute to this cause please feel free to visit our home page for a PayPal link to donate.

Chris, AI6U proceeded to read in last months meeting notes and the totals for our On-line / On-air net meetings for the month. Once again we’re getting good check-ins both on-air and on-line. We had a total of 25 QNI on-air and 13 On-line viewers! Keep those check ins coming. We love to hear about your current weeks happenings. Net meetings offer a way for club members and guests to get together between in-person meetings. Especially for those that are out of town.
The SFMARC is proud to announce that in the month of November we have increased our membership by 2. We would like to officially welcome to the crew: Bob Schuldheiz, K6DGQ from Sacramento and Gene Riddell from Bellingham, Wa
Topics of Discussion included the final tally on those completing the W6SFM CW Class November 18th. It was announced that 5 of the class students were receiving at speeds over 16 WPM. One student was clocked at around 22 WPM speeds! This is exceptional for someone to go from 0 WPM speed to 22 WPM within a 10 week course. Of the other 17 students some were clocked at around 10-15 WPM code speeds. The remaining students had all learned their complete Morse Alphabet, Numbers and Pro-signs, however they were not at conversational speeds. Those students who wish to take the CW class again next time are welcome and encouraged to. Plus, they will all be able to do so for a very reduced rate since they now have their provided Straight key, and Oscillator given to them FREE with their original class payment.

Also at this in-person meeting the group discussed the W6SFM Bug Roundup Event and how well those participating did on-air. The CQ BR event was held November 21-22nd. just before our December in-person meeting. Members reported making many contacts, some with DX stations in Asia and Europe. It was also announced that a total of 1008 people checked into the Club’s “Bug Roundup Event” web page between the first announcement 1 month prior to the event, and the end of the event on Sunday Morning at 7AM.

Next month (January) marks the on-air North American QSO party contest. The SFM ARC always participates in this event held 1800 – 0600 UTC. January’s event will be held on the 9th – 10th. Member, Bob KJ6** has graciously offered to host this event at his home QTH in Fair Oaks, CA. All those who are interested in attending (operating or not) please be sure to contact admin@w6sfm.com with your RSVP so we have enough snacks and drinks for everyone there. Directions will be given at our next in-person meeting held the first Thursday of the month, January 7th. We hope to see you there. .

The Halfway House for Keys program announced a follow up on our newest recipient 17 year old Pierce, W5KGP. Pierce reports receiving his donated Ten Tec transceiver along with Antenna system.. Pierce said that he was able to set up his Dipole Antenna with window line to a balun, then a short 6’ run of Coax to his rig. This was completed the last weekend of November

For our tech portion of the meeting member Bob, KJ6CA brought in a very nice almost new Vibroplex 100th anniversary original standard bug. Bob acquired this bug from an e-Bay on-line auction he won. Everyone agreed that this bug sounded and operated fantastically. It was discussed that the quality of this 100th anniversary bug was clear by the sound of the way the dit contact bounced perfectly against the post. Almost sounding like the quality of bugs made in the 50s

Our next SFM ARC in-person meeting will be held at its normal time and address. Our upcoming January 7th (followed by our February 4th) SFM ARC in-person meeting will be held in the Howard Crowley room upstairs. Current events, News regarding Amateur radio and other ARRL items will be discussed. As always we will have our Tech portion where members and visitors are asked to share their Ham Radio related items they find of interest. Feel free to visit our In-Person meeting with items that you purchased or were given that you would like to share with the group.

Please note that the SFM ARC will also be holding our general elections for Club Officers. Positions include President, Vice President, and Secretary. Also we will be collecting yearly membership dues for the 2016 year. If you would like to join us, and want the full benefit of the complete year this would be the time to apply. Please use our on-line “Join W6SFM” link on our homepage to do so. Each Tuesday of the week 8:00 PM on 3.545 MHz the SFM ARC enjoys getting on the air with CW for our weekly Nets. You do NOT need to be a member of the SFM ARC to check into our nets. Although our nets usually run around 13 wpm code, we are all happy to accommodate those that are slower and need us to oblige. If you are unable to copy Morse Code or need some code practice please feel free to visit our on-line LIVE streaming broadcast of both the Audio and a CW to Text decoding of the meeting. That link can be found on our home page of the website. Those visiting the on-line site at www.w6sfm.com are welcome to make themselves known by using the ‘contact us’ link to let the net op (NCS) know you are there. This of course is not mandatory; just a way of making everyone feel more involved in our on-air nets.

Do you or someone you know need a Ham Club to call home? For those that want to learn Morse Code, are interested in CW or already know and use it, the SFM ARC would love to be your new Club home. Our in-person meetings are held each 1st Thursday of the month at 7PM. The SFM ARC meets in the "Howard Crowley" room of the Carmichael Presbyterian Church in Carmichael, CA. The church is Located at 5645 Marconi Ave. For directions to the meeting visit our clubs home webpage www.w6sfm.com. Please use the rear parking lot and entry for best access to the meeting. A map and directions can also be found on our website.

We hope to see you at our next meeting! 73, Michael N6MQL, W6SFM Club President

-------------------------------------------------

Update from the Yuba-Sutter Amateur Radio Club
Posted January 2, 2016

At the December 9 general meeting of the Yuba Sutter ARC, we dispensed with the serious part of our meeting and enjoyed each others company at Hometown Buffet. The crowd was estimated at 82, though we used all the seats allotted and a few overflow booths as well. A door prize drawing was held and each attendee got a free ticket.

When YSARC officers and board members were elected in November the office of Secretary was left open. That has been rectified by Linda Maas, KK6SOZ. She was appointed by a vote of the Board of Directors at the December board meeting December 15. She will succeed Jo Anne Murdock, N6YLO, who will be traveling frequently in 2016 with Ron, W6KJ.

YSARC will offer a free license class starting early in January. Curtis, KF6VFP, and Ron, W6KJ, will be the primary instructors. Contact Curtis at kf6vfp@arrl.net for more details.

Ron Murdock, W6KJ

PRESIDENTS COMMENTS

Wow! What a year. It has been an honor serving as your president for this year. I owe my gratitude to numerous people for making this such a successful year for the club. When I chose to throw my hat into the ring my only intention was to get more people involved in our great club. Everyone stepped and as a result we have many examples of club successes for which we can/should be rightfully proud.

  • Our membership has grown significantly
  • Thanks to Curtis we have an excellent training program
  • Excellent door prizes from the committee and donors
  • The VE program is flourishing. Thank you VE’s
  • Field day was attended by one of the largest groups in anyone’s recollection. Ham radio, food, and entertainment for all.
  • A pot luck dinner was held
  • Many informative, well attended presentations were held at the public library meeting room.
  • And to cap off the year... a Christmas party attended by over 100 people featuring food, friendship, good company and great door prizes. Again a resounding success due primarily to the work and preparations of David Wainer, WA1NER.
Links:
Sacramento Valley Section Facebook Page, Sacramento Valley Section Twitter Feed, Sacramento Valley Regional ARES, Sacramento Valley Section Nets

Sacramento Valley Officials