- Section Name:
- West Texas
- Bill Roberts, W5NPR
- Daytime Phone:
- Evening Phone:
- West Gulf
West Texas Section News
July 31, 2014
News From Around West Texas
I have had two rainy spells so far this summer and hoping for the third today. The first came in June just before Field Day when I received 2.17 inches over a 9 day period. The second wet spell came earlier in July and I received 1.37 inches over a 12 day period. There was enough time with hot temperatures to almost lose the green after the first rains, and it is about to happen again this time. We do have a 60% chance of rain today, 40% for tonight and 60% for tomorrow, so we are hopeful. So far I have only received 3.54 inches for the year, so we need to catch up fast.
---Austin SummerFest and Texas State Convention---
Austin SummerFest and the ARRL Texas State convention is scheduled August 1st -2nd at the Crown Plaza at the intersection of IH35 and US 290. This is the same location as year, and has an abundance of parking. Technical Sessions include the following:
ARRL West Gulf Director David Woolweaver K5RAV will conduct this year's ARRL Forum with Robert Stratton N5AUS. This year's speaker will be Dan Henderson ARRL Regulatory Manager;
The Central Texas DX and Contest Club will present a program;
Steve Hicks, N5AC, of Flex Radio Systems, will give the lastest information on Software Defined Radios;
The Roadrunners Microwave Group will hold their Anuual Meeting and host a session on the "high end";
Keith Pugh W5IU will lead a wide-ranging discussion on communications through Amateur RADIO Satellites;
Jim Russell NQ5L, South Texas Section Emergency Coordinator, will host a session on Emergency Communications;
Troy Kimmel KE5BCK along with other leading Austin meteorologists, on the latest in forcasting technology and recent weather events in the central Texas area.
--- ARRL National Convention and Centennial Celebration---
I have received emails from many Section Managers who attended the ARRL National Convention and Centennial Celebration reporting that it was a wonderful event. I decided that it would be too expensive for me to attend, but after all the good reports, I am wishing I had "bit the bullet" and attended also. Another email that poured salt in the wound came from John AE5B, reporting that ARRL had negotiated special deals with many hotels and motels in the Hartford-Newington, Connecticut area and was much more affordable than anticipated. I will probably spend the rest of my life regretting the decision not to attend!
---Sun City ARC K5WPH Annual Auction Scheduled for August 16th---
The Annual Sun City K5WPH Auction will be held in El Paso on August 16th. The auction ranges from fun items for a few dollars to very usable and sought after ham radio transceivers and related equipment.
At HamCom and the West Gulf Division Convention in Plano last June, Sean Gardiner KD6CUB was named the Ham of the Year for the Division, and Lew Maxwell KB5HPT was named as the winner of the Excellence Award. Neither Sean or Lew were present to received their awards, and I plan to attend the auction and present those awards on behalf of West Gulf Division director David Woolwaver K5RAV.
---The Annual Balloon Fest to be held in Alpine Labor Day Weekend---
The Annual Balloon Fest in Alpine will be Labor Day Weekend August 30th-31st, and September 1st. The event will be held at the Alpine Municipal Airport on Highway 118 north of Alpine. Weather permitting, there will be balloon launches on all three days. All launches are as early as possible to take advantage of the cooler air. In years past, rains have sometime created problems, but high winds are generally the weather condition that prevents balloon launches.
Big Bend Amateur club will be providing communications for the event, with the base station activities from the BBARC Communication Van located at the airport, with mobile units tracking the individual balloons.
Randle (Randy) Gary Reimers N5OLB of Cloudroft, New Mexico, and formerly of Terlingua and Alpine, became a Silent Key on July 14, 2014.
In addition to ham radio, Randy introduced rocketry to Big Bend High School in Terlingua. He then moved to Croudcroft where he pursued his interest in astronomy and became Manager of New Mexico Skies Remote Hosting Observatory.
A memorial was held July 22nd, and a second memorial will be held in the Terlingua area sometime in 2015.
On behalf of myself and everyone in the West Texas Section, we extend our condolences to the family and friends of Randy Reimers.
---Section Emergency Coordinator Report---
The SEC Report for June was available for inclusion in this newsletter, but will be posted on the Website when available.
http://www.csvhfs.org Central States VHF Society
http://k5wph.org Sun City ARC K5WPH
http://www.w5es.org El Paso ARC W5ES
http://k5elp.com West Texas Rptr Assn, K5ELP
http://www.hamradioelpaso.com New web site in El Paso
http://www.bigbendarc.com Big Bend ARC, Alpine TX
http://www.w5qgg.org Midland ARC, Midland TX
http://www.orgsites.com/tx/w5lcc Lubbock Contest Club
http://hamradio.noaa.gov/ United States Skywarn
http://wx.findu.com/k5wph SCARC's WX Sta
http://dx.qsl.net/propagation/index.html Flare/MUF info
http://spaceweather.com/ Aurora, sun spots, CMEs
http://www.irlp.net/ Internet Radio Linking Project
http://irlp.g4eid.co.uk/status/all_reflectors.html Shows status of all reflectors
http://www.sota.org.uk Summits on the Air
http://www.w5qx.org/ San Angelo ARC
http://www.abilenehams.org Abilene ARC
Thanks again for all you do for the West Texas Section. Hope to see you soon. 73,
ARRL West Texas Section
Bill Roberts W5NPR
West Texas Officials
Section Manager,Billy D. Roberts W5NPR
Section Traffic Manager
Assistant Section ManagerAugust N. Schott K5HCT
Affiliated Club CoordinatorRon Harden KB5HGM
Assistant Section Manager,Howard T. Collier WB5EKW
Section Emergency Coordinator
Assistant Section ManagerLarry L. Springsteen WB8LBZ
Official Observer CoordinatorRonny D. Gandy KB5GU
Assistant Section ManagerCarl E. Jeans N5YXN
Assistant Section ManagerCharles C. Royall WB5T
Assistant Section ManagerCarla J. Dyer K5RLA