A popular part of Amateur Radio is the restoration of vintage radios. Many hams have re-created their original ham station--carefully restoring old radios to fully functioning equipment.
Some Vintage Equipment
- Flea Market Madness! A Beginner's Guide to Buying and Selling
QST August 1998. pp. 57-59
What to look for, and look out for, at one of the best sources for bargains and treasures.
- Bring 'Em Back Alive!
QST August 1995, pp. 49-52
Restoring vintage ham gear is challenging and fun, but be sure you take proper safety precautions.
Feedback: QST October 1995, p. 78
- How to Buy Military Surplus
QST May 1996, pp. 63-65
Have you checked out the goodies at your nearest military base? Why not? You paid for them!
- Refurbishing "Boat-Anchors"
QST January 1997, pp. 35-38
Bring vintage radios back to life.
- Lab Notes - Electronic Troubleshooting
QST November 1995, pg. 87-88
Tips on repairing old equipment
- Lab Notes - How to Locate Manuals and Documentation
QST June 1992, pp. 67-69
- How to Test and Align a Linear Amplifier
QST May 1952, pp. 39-43, 128
Alignment procedure for an old tube type SSB amplifier
Synthesizing Vacuum Tubes
How to design solid state replacements.
- ARRL Vintage Equipment Exhibit at the ARRL Laboratory
- Antique Radio Restoration & Repair
- Collins Collectors Association
- The RigPix Database
The source of information and pictures of radios, accessories and more
- Nostalgia Air
Vintage Radio References, Schematics, Manuals, Tube Substitution, etc.
- AF4K's BOATANCHORS SUPPLIERS & INFO LIST This list is compiled by Bry Carling AF4K.
- The BoatAnchor Manual Archive (BAMA)
The manuals in this archive are available to all who enjoy working on and restoring old tube type amateur radio equipment and short wave receivers.
- THE BONEYARD RADIO PRICE GUIDE
Used Amateur Radio Prices Seen Various Places in 1998
- Collins Radio Association Web Site
This page is intended for those Collins Radio enthusiasts who would like to have an index of articles in the Collins Monthly Journal (CMJ).
- The Yaesu FT-101 HF Transceiver Home Page
The purpose of this page is to capture and document the Yaesu FT-101 series radios during the 1970's.
- HBR Receiver Web Site
For those of you interested in the HBR Receivers presented in several QST construction articles from the late 50's until the late 60's (and in the Radio Handbook, 17th Edition), this Web page is for you.
- Jim Hawkins' Radio Room
Featuring Broadcast Transmitter Facilities of VOA, 700 WLW, WABC-77, RCI and other Standard Broadcast Stations with over 300 pictures, most with downloadable larger versions, animations and VRML tours!
- Welcome to the Old Radio History Web-Site
NJ Antique Radio Club HomePage
- Welcome to the Radio History Society
The Radio History Society (RHS) is dedicated to establishing a world-class museum and library of radio and television history based in the Washington DC area.
- The Boatanchor Classifieds
- Radio Classified
- rec.radio.amateur.boatanchors FAQ
- The Virtual Hamfest
- Welcome to Almost All Digital Electronics
- Drake Virtual Museum
- Radio Era Archives
Welcome - you've arrived at an "Old Radio" web-site that has "LOTS" of stuff about old radios and electronics. . . . .
- Old Radio Digital World Database
Information is, of course, the base of any collecting activity. How can you collect something if you don't know WHAT to collect, WHICH model was made by WHICH manufacturer, WHEN it was made, WHERE it is possible to find it and so on? So here is some info for you:
- Online Manuals
Radios and test equipment.
- Richard Lacroix's Military Communications Home Page
Radio Specifications, Radio Accessories, Army-Navy Equipment Code Guide
- Bill's Ham Radio WWW Server
Tube data, Military Equipment Nomenclature, Military Equipment Manuals, Military Equipment Histories
- AF4K Boatanchor Links page
A gold mine!
- Vintage Ham Radio Site by VE3CFE
History, stations, projects, parts, sounds by Cliff Element, VE3CFE.
- Steve Lenaghan VE6VS's vintage radio forum covers commercial tube type amateur radio since the end of World War II.
GE Ham News—the complete set from 1946 to 1963.