Chapter 4 – Components and Circuits
Part of becoming a General Class ham is learning more about electronics and radio so that you can take advantage of all those new privileges! You’ll find ham radio a lot more fun and you’ll feel much more confident with some radio “know-how” and that’s the focus of Section 4.
- Check out these online resources to review math concepts important to General Class license preparation. Math Tutorials and Articles
- How to Read Circuit Diagrams, Part I - this may be old, but it's accurate!
- How to Read Circuit Diagrams, Part II
- Color Codes - learn how to read the value of electronic components by their colored markings
- Photovoltaics - how to convert light to power
- Vacuum Tubes - the complete Wikipedia entry on this oldest of all active electronic components
- ARRL Certification and Continuing Education Courses - the ARRL offers mentored on-line courses on a number of topics
- QST Hands-On Radio - a monthly column explaining some aspect of radio electronics
- Tutorials by VK2TIP - tutorials on semiconductors and electronics