Proper lightning protection is an important aspect of designing a safe amateur radio station. Recently, many amateurs have become concerned about possible damage from EMP, or Electromagnetic Pulse. Fortunately, EMP protection has been studied by Dennis Bodson, W4PWF, and effective mitigation strategies published in QST.
- Lightning Protection for the Amateur Radio Station -- Part 1
QST June 2002, pp. 56-59
A three part series that develops a plan for protection the amateur station.
- Lightning Protection for the Amateur Radio Station -- Part 2
QST July 2002, pp. 48-52
- Lightning Protection for the Amateur Radio Station -- Part 3
QST August 2002, pp. 53-55
- Lab Notes - Lightning Protection - Part 1
QST October 1994, pp. 81-82
- Lab Notes - Lightning Protection - Part 2
QST December 1994. pp. 45-46
- Electromagnetic Pulse and the Radio Amateur - Part 1
QST August 1986, pp. 15-20, 36
Will your station survive the effects of lightning strikes ........
- Electromagnetic Pulse and the Radio Amateur - Part 2
QST September 1986, pp. 22-26
...testing EMP/transient-protection devices
- Electromagnetic Pulse and the Radio Amateur - Part 3
QST October 1986, pp. 38-41
...protectors are connected to Amateur Radio equipment and retested.
- Electromagnetic Pulse and the Radio Amateur - Part 4
QST November 1986, pp. 30-34
What can be done to protect an Amateur radio station from lightning......
Feedback: QST February 1987, p. 43
Feedback: QST April 1987, p. 59
The model number of the Siemans spark gap is B1-A350, not BI-A350.
- How to Protect Your House and Its Contents from Lightning
IEEE Guide for Surge Protection of Equipment Connected to AC Power and Communication Circuits, Published by Standards Information Network, IEEE Press
- Welcome To PolyPhaser On-Line
Leading the communications industry in RF lightning protection and grounding solutions.
Ham Radio Station Protection
A thorough discussion of Ham Radio Station Techniques.
- Why You Need Lightning Protection
- Lightning Protection Specifications
- Lightning Protection Institute
The Lightning Protection Institute (LPI) presents the following information designed to provide you with a basic understanding of lightning, the severity of lightning strikes, lightning protection systems, and the educational efforts of the LPI.
- National Lightning Safety Institute
- FAQ: Sources of EMC and Safety Compliance Information
- Mike Holt has a free tutorial on NEC Article 810 – Radio and Television Equipment.
- Industrial Communication Engineers, Ltd. Special Publications
Free easy-to-understand technical publications written by I.C.E. engineers and staff technicians. Publications cover a variety of subjects, including lightning protection.
- The National Weather Service has lightning safety materials on its web site.
- Companies that supply Products for Lightning Protection
Surge Protectors are available from Alpha Delta
Surge Arrestors are available from Array Solutions.
Grounding and Lightning Protection Products are available from DX Engineering.
Georgia Copper sells copper products for lightning protection.
Lightning Protectors are available from MFJ Enterprises.
Morgan Manufacturing makes lightning protection products.
Polyphaser makes lightning protection products.
Storm Copper makes products of interest to ham radio operators.
- Useful links for tracking lightning include: