Most modern electronics is made using SMT or surface mount technology. While different from older thru-hole or leaded components, this has not stopped inventive hams from figuring out how to use new SMT devices.
- The World's Smallest Code-Practice Oscillator
QST February 2001, pp. 39-41
A very small and flexible code-practice oscillator using surface-mount devices.
- The Mystique Behind Miniaturization - Surface Mount Technology
QST, October 1987, pp. 15-18
Pocket-size hand-helds, TVs the size of a watch – isn't it amazing? Here’s a look at some of what makes this compactness possible.
- A Surface-Mount Technology Primer - Part 1
QST December 1990, pp. 48-51
What makes today's compact electronics gear possible?
- A Surface-Mount Technology Primer - Part 2
QST January 1991, pp. 27-30
Here's more on surface-mount devices - their makeup, where to get them and how to work with them.
- Surface Mount Technology - You Can Work with It! - Part 1
QST April 1999, pp. 33-39
Start building your own projects with surface-mount devices! I'll show you how!
- Surface Mount Technology - You Can Work with It! – Part 2
QST May 1999, pp. 48-50
- Surface Mount Technology - You Can Work with It! - Part 3
QST June 1999, pp. 34-36
- Surface Mount Technology - You Can Work with It! - Part 4
QST July 1999, pp. 38-41
- SMALL: A Surface-Mount Amplifier that's Little - and LOUD!
QST June 1996, pp. 41-42, 68
A simple project using surface mount technology yet gives you a high quality audio amplifier.