Antenna modeling used to be the domain of scientists and engineers with very expensive antenna ranges covering acres and acres of land strewn with expensive equipment. With the proliferation of personal computers and affordable (even free) software, antenna modeling has become a popular amateur activity. With modeling you can determine the pattern, feed point impedance and even the SWR of your antenna system before cutting one piece of wire or one tube of aluminum. This can save an awful lot of tree and tower climbing.
- A Beginner's Guide to Modeling with NEC, Part 1
QST November 2000, pp. 34-38
Feedback: Notes 1. NEC4WIN from Orion URL should be http://www.orionmicro.com
- A Beginner's Guide to Modeling with NEC, Part 2
QST December 2000, pp. 40-44
- A Beginner's Guide to Modeling with NEC, Part 3
QST January 2001, pp. 44-48
- A Beginner's Guide to Modeling with NEC, Part 4
QST February 2001, pp. 31-35
- MININEC: The Other Edge of the Sword
QST February 1991, pp. 18-22
MININEC software is powerful, but you need to know its limitations.
- EZNEC 3.0 for Windows
QST September 2000, p. 66
A quick review of this software
- QUICKLOOP A Loop-Array Modeling Aid
QST April 2001, pp. 73-74 (Hints and Kinks)
Using EZNEC to model a 2-meter loop
- A Beginner's Guide to Transmission-Line and Antenna-Tuner Modeling
QST May 2001, pp. 34-37
Using the new TLW software bundled with recent editions The ARRL Antenna Book
Simplified Nec2 modeling for amateurs and professionals.
- MM Hamsoft
Includes free MM Antenna Analyzer
- EZNEC Antenna Software by W7EL
Roy LeWallen's business is known by his call sign. EZNEC 3.0 and EZNEC pro 3.0 are full-featured 32-bit Windows applications
Sample EZNEC Files
A disk holding all of the exercise files in .EZ format for use with EZNEC is available.
- Orion Microsystems--Antenna Simulation for Windows
NEC4WIN95 is known for its user friendliness. Most commands are accessible in one click from a toolbar.
- Grating Solver Development Company
Antenna Solver V1.1
- The unofficial Numerical Electromagnetic Code (NEC) Archives
Additional information not found in the NEC-2 manuals.
- Antennas, Service and Education
by L. B. Cebik, W4RNL
A wealth of information and tutorials on antennas by the author of the QST series "A Beginner's Guide to Modeling with NEC"
- NEC-Win Synth
Wire Grid Model Generating Software
- Antenna Modeling Software &Other Utility Programs
by Dan Maguire, AC6LA
- Antenna Modeling Files
To be used with either NEC-4 or Yagi Optimizer modeling programs. While YO is no longer available, .YAG files can be converted using the MS-DOS based SCALE.exe program that appears in the YAGIS subdirectory when YW is installed. YW comes with the ARRL Antenna Book.
- G4FGQ's Software
G4FGQ's Software -- A collection of free engineering/modeling programs written by Reg Edwards G4FGQ.
- Yagi Antenna Design
This site offers a free interactive design page to let hams design Yagi antennas for HF, VHF and UHF