ARRL

Register Account

Login Help

Forum Home - Rules - Help - Login - Forgot Password
Members can access, post and reply to the forums below. Before you do, please first read the RULES.

smart meters

Sep 30th 2012, 23:56

K1SCE

Total Topics: 0
Total Posts: 0
Washington Electric Cooperative, Inc
Po box 8
East Montpelier, Vermont 05651 will be installing Smart meters withing the next few months in my town, Northfield, vermont.
These meters are using wired or power line carrier meter communications, on a 12.5 Kilohertz, between my meter and substation, where the signal is captured, and then delivered via private internet network.

Questions
1. should I be concerned with this 12.5 KHz (or harmonic) being transmitted via power line?

2. Are there any reports published, either negative or positive on these meters (12.5 khz) used in other parts of the country?

3. If there is interference how should I handle it to have it resolved asap?

contact person at Washington electric - Bill Powell, 802-223-5245

I can refuse to have the meter installed but would like to be fair to Wash elec, my neighbors and my self.
thank You
Jim Gricci, k1sce (email my call via arrl)
Oct 1st 2012, 12:10

WB1GCM

Super Moderator

Hello Jim,

The ARRL has a Smart Meter web page that has general information: http://www.arrl.org/smart-meters.

I have not heard of a system that uses current carrier at 12.5 kHz. None-the-less, smart meters fall under Part 15 rules , and thus, must not interfere with licensed radio services, such as the Amateur Service.

Oct 1st 2012, 14:46

w1rfi

Super Moderator

At this point, we don't have any reports involving these low-frequency meters. More than likely, there is going to be sufficient filtering, as the 12.5 kHz signal needs to be pretty clean or it couldn't be used to transmit data. Please do keep me posted if you have any interference from these devices, as yours is the first report we've received regarding this particular smart-grid technology. Ed Hare, W1RFI@arrl.org.
Nov 4th 2021, 15:08

KD0QG

https://www.facebook.com/100002178999620/videos/289954019798781
Power company ignores.. Is there anything i can do to minimise this?
It makes all but the strongest repeaters in the area unusable
Note the pulse is 40%
Dec 1st 2021, 14:41

WA8NVW

Did you notice that the original thread you replied to was posted in 2012, nine years ago? And the Facebook link reference fails with an error message:
This Content Isn't Available Right Now When this happens, it's usually because the owner only shared it with a small group of people, changed who can see it or it's been deleted..
You might want to start your complaint over from the beginning including the pertinent technical details. Do keep in mind that the power company already transmits megawatts of power at 60 Hz to power your home and the repeaters you listen to without making the signals unuseable. I'd suspect a noisy plug-in wall wart supply.

EXPLORE ARRL

Instragram     Facebook     Twitter     YouTube     LinkedIn