LEVEL 3: Extra Class License
- Exam Requirement: 50-question Extra written exam (Element 4).
- License Privileges: All Amateur band privileges.
General licensees may upgrade to Extra Class by passing a 50-question multiple-choice examination. No Morse code test is required. In addition to some of the more obscure regulations, the test covers specialized operating practices, advanced electronics theory and radio equipment design. Non-licensed individuals must pass Element 2, Element 3 and Element 4 written exams to earn an Extra License. The FCC grants exam element 3 credit to individuals that previously held certain older types of licenses. Find valid forms of Examination Element Credit.
The HF bands can be awfully crowded, particularly at the top of the solar cycle. Once one earns HF privileges, one may quickly yearn for more room. The Extra Class license is the answer. Extra Class licensees are authorized to operate on all frequencies allocated to the Amateur Service.
ARRL Extra Class License Manual
All You Need To Pass Your Extra Class Exam!
- Pass the 50-question Extra Class test
- All the Exam Questions with Answer Key, for use through June 30, 2016
- NEW! Ues with ARRL's online Exam Review for Ham Radio
- Detailed explanations for all questions, including FCC rules
- Online supplement with additional reference links for more information
Extra Class License Resources
Study for the Extra License
Find resources to help you prepare to upgrade to an extra class license. Learn More
Extra Class Question Pool
Check out how you can obtain a copy of the extra class question pool. Learn More
Find a Class
ARRL can help you find an Amateur Licensing Class closest to you Learn More
Find an Exam
Search to find where exams are scheduled near your area. Learn More