What you'll find on this page ...
Listed below are ARRL publications designed for student preparation for each FCC Amateur Radio license exam. Also we've listed publications that serve as good resources to provide more in-depth information about ham radio operations and technical topics.
Question pool cross references between previous question pools and the current question pools as well as graphic images used in ARRL publications are provided to assist instructors in development of their own instructional materials.
ARRL Student Study Manuals
- The ARRL Ham Radio License Manual, 3rd edition, for exam preparation July 1, 2014 to June 30, 2018
- The ARRL Technician Q&A, 6th edition, for exam preparation July 1, 2014 to June 30, 2018
- The ARRL General Class License Manual, 7th edition, for exam preparation July 1, 2011 to June 30, 2015
- The ARRL General Q&A, 4th edition, for exam preparation July 1, 2011 to June 30, 2015
- The ARRL Extra Class License Manual, 10th edition, for exam preparation July 1, 2012 to June 30, 2016
- The ARRL Extra Q&A , 3rd edition, for exam preparation after July 1, 2012 to June 30, 2016
- For supplemental information, additional references, updates and corrections refer to the Extra Class License Manual Online Supplement.
NEW online Exam Review for Ham Radio is available at www.arrl.org/examreview. Students can customize their exam preparation by reviewing questions with each chapter of the ARRL's study manual, or by question pool subelement. Students may take practice exams online. Instructors can print exams for classroom practice.
As an ARRL Registered Instructor you can purchase instruction and study materials through our Instructor Discount Program. Learn more.
Please review the Copyright information that applies to ARRL license preparation publications.
Instructor's Manual for Technician License Courses
ARRL's Instructor's Manual for Instruction of Technician License Courses (6th edition) is now available to ARRL Registered Instructors as a free download. This manual offers a course syllabus that addresses all of the topics covered by the FCC question pool effective July 1, 2014, for the Technician license exam. It includes lesson plans and PowerPoint slides.
If you are an ARRL Registered Instructor, click here to access these materials.
To register, click here.
Other ARRL Materials
These materials and cross references from the development of our study manuals are shared below for your use to assist you in the development of your own instructional materials.
Please observe ARRL copyright restrictions.
These ARRL materials developed for our student study manuals are shared to assist you with preparation of your own instructional materials.
The following spreadsheets will provide a cross reference between the former question pool and the new question pool indicating which questions have been modified, dropped or added.
Download the course syllabus here.
The new 6th edition of ARRL's Instructor's Manual for Technician License Courses was developed to coordinate with the current ARRL student study manual, The Ham Radio License Manual, 3rd edition. It includes lesson plans and Power Points that you can customize to help you present your lessons. ARRL Registered Instructors may download these materials here.
Other ARRL Publications
These ARRL publications serve well as references to explore license topics in greater depth. Click on the title for a description of each publication.