Select Countries A - D

Operating Permit Information


For a foreign civilian to obtain an amateur radio operator's license an official letter from their country's Embassy in Kabul to the Ministry of Foreign Affairs is required.  Once this letter has been reviewed, the Ministry of Foreign Affairs will transmit a letter to the Spectrum Management Department of the Ministry of Communications and Information Technology (MCIT).  On receipt of that letter, a license should be issued within two or three days.  Be prepared to pay a nominal charge of  US$ 300 and to provide a recent passport sized photo.

Contact person at the Ministry is:

Director of Spectrum Management Department

Telephone    +93-20-2101143
Mobile            +93-77-2036320

Mohammad Jan Khan Watt
Islamic Republic of Afghanistan


Algeria (7T-7Y)

Algeria has not entered into a reciprocal or a third party traffic agreement with the United States. Amateur radio is encouraged there in their own way, but it is very difficult, if not impossible, for an alien amateur to be licensed even if he or she is not a short-term visitor.

For further information, please contact:

Amateurs Radio Algerians (ARA)

Antarctica (KC4 only)

Radio operations are managed by the National Science Foundation via the use of is prime support contractor who provides IT & communications support functions in Antarctica under contract to the NSF (currently Raytheon Polar Services Company, Centennial, CO). The NSF only has oversight of FCC delegated KC4 call sign blocks and for any radio communications conducted at a US Antarctic Program operating location - NSF maintains internal USAP radio frequency spectrum coordination.

In practice, NSF sponsors three "club" station operations, one at each of the three USAP stations of McMurdo, South Pole, and Palmer. These operate under an FCC delegated KC4 call sign. Any other amateur radio operation by an individual not using the officially sponsored station would be requested to operate as a conventional mobile or portable, and the NSF's primary interest would be the advanced coordination and registration for radio frequency coordination when operations could be conducted at/near USAP operating locations.

Any other amateur radio operations affiliated/sponsored by other national Antarctic programs would be addressed to the country of relevance. Any independent, non-affiliated amateur radio operations would not be addressed to NSF unless the operations would occur near or at USAP operating locations, in which case NSF requests radio frequency spectrum coordination.

General inquires can be addressed to:

National Science Foundation
Office of Polar Programs
Division of Antarctic Infrastructure and Logistics
4201 Wilson Blvd, Room 755
Arlington, VA 22230

Technical inquiries regarding spectrum coordination, sponsored station facilities, etc. can be addressed to the current NSF Antarctic Support Contractor:

Raytheon Polar Services Company
7400 S. Tucson Way
Centennial, CO 80112
Attn: Director of Information Technology

Antigua and Barbuda (V2)

The proper address for licensing is :

Telecommunications Division
Ministry of Information, Broadcasting, Telecommunications, Science & Technology
Coolidge Business Complex (Former Sealy Building)
Sir George Walter Highway
St. George's

Paperwork was  currently  handled by Mr. William Henry, the Assistant Telecommunications Officer.  He  is extremely helpful and can be reached by e-mail at:

In addition to the license application and a copy of your U.S. license you will also need to provide a copy of your passport photo page for identification.

It is possible to take care of everything by mail and have them e-mail you a copy of your license.  If you choose this route, send the licensing fees as a cashier's check via courier (DHL, etc.) to the above address.  Otherwise take a taxi to the above address and pick up your license upon arrival.

There is a license application fee of EC$27 and an additional annual fee of EC$54.  Licensing fees are found at  At this time EC$2.70 equals US$1.00

They will try to honor requests for specific calls and will issue single letter suffixes (e.g. V25V) if available.

Full information on amateur radio in Antigua and Barbuda is available from:

Antigua and Barbuda Amateur Radio Society

It is an active but small society, so include a SAE and a couple of IRC with your inquiry.


 An Armenian Amateur Radio license (permit), is issued by the Republican Center of Telecommunication, CJSC, Ministry of Transport and Communications of the Republic of Armenia. 

According to the Regulation of the above mentioned organization, which is approved in the Decision of the Government of RA of 20 November, 1999, No.694, appendix 9, the foreign Amateur must submit to the Republican Center of Telecommunication, CJSC, the following documents: 

  • Application questionnaire;
  • Copy of the amateur license issued by the country of which the amateur is a citizen
  • Recommendation of the FRRA (we can send this letter after you send us the first two papers)

All these documents must be submitted not later than two months before beginning of activities of the radio amateur. However, FRRA can gain the extension of the deadline.

A foreign amateur who would like to obtain a two month license must pay 150,000 Armenian Drams, and for the period of time up to one year, 500,000 Armenian Drams. One USD is equal to about 588 Armenian Drams.

To bring equipment into the country (for example, a transceiver), you must obtain permission from the Republican Center of Telecommunication, CJSC, and pay about 18,000 Armenian Drams for the permission. 


George Badalian EK6GB
President FRRA

Azores (CU)

PSC 76, Box 1687
APO AE 09720
Sept 25, 1991

Dear Folks,

I have been living in the Azores since August 1990 as a member of the United States Forces Azores at Lajes Field on Terceira Island (CU3). I'd like to provide some current information on how US hams can obtain reciprocal licenses in the Azores Islands.

Visitors can obtain 30-day temporary licenses by submitting a letter to the licensing authority: Correios e Telecomunicacoes de Portugal, 9500 Ponta Delgada, Sao Miguel, Acores. This letter must be written in either Portuguese or French and should give your name, address, class of US license, and say that you would like a license to operate in the Azores in accordance with the terms of the reciprocal licensing agreement between Portugal and the U.S. Also, two legible photocopies of your U.S. license must be attached. There is a small fee involved, and the process is much easier if the application is made in person at the CTT office (there are several in the islands). Licenses granted in this manner will use the Azores prefix/your call (e.g. CU3/KA1AA). Each island is a different call area (CU1-CU9, with CU0 reserved for special event/commemorative stations). These licenses can be renewed for an additional 30-day period.

Military personnel or US Government civilians who will be stations at Air Base 4, Lajes Field, can be issued a local CU3 callsign. Current CU3 reciprocal calls have the letter "L" as the first letter of the suffix; e.g. CU3LA, CU3LB, etc. To get one of these licenses, the individual must do the following:

Write a letter on official squadron letterhead in either Portuguese or French, stating your name, local address in the Azores, class of US license, and requesting the issuance of a local license in accordance with the terms of the reciprocal licensing agreement between the US and Portugal.

Have your squadron commander sign a letter in both English and Portuguese certifying what squadron you are assigned to, that you will be stationed at Air Base 4/Lajes Field until XXXXX (your return date to the USA), that you currently hold a valid US amateur radio license and are authorized to apply to a local amateur radio license.

Make two clear, legible photocopies of your US amateur license.

This package should be taken in person to the CTT office in Angra, located at 2 Rua Dr. Henrique Bras. This is about 10-15 miles from the base. The CTT officials will collect the license fee of about ($9 US). The fee must be paid in escudos, the local currency. You will be given a receipt. The license will be sent to you by mail to your Azores address, but be forewarned that it takes anywhere from 1-6 months to arrive. This is because the CTT will send a telex to the FCC requesting verification of your US license. The FCC is very slow about answering them and sometimes they don't at all. The CTT will accept only a telex sent directly to them by the FCC. Licenses issued this way are good for 5 years, but require a fee of approximately $6 US be paid every 6 months. Note that Third Party traffic is strictly prohibited. There is, however, a USAF MARS station on the base and US hams assigned to the base can get USAF MARS licenses.

73 es GL,

Mike Lazaroff, KB3RG/CU3LF

Bahrain A9

We do not have a reciprocal operating agreement with Bahrain. However, it may be possible to obtain permission to operate your Amateur Radio equipment if you will be living in Bahrain. Therefore, if you wish to obtain a permit to operate from Bahrain, the licensing authority specifies that you must hold a Bahrain residence permit.

There is at present no locally administered Amateur Radio examination, although one is in the process of being arranged. Until the exam is completed, however, you must show "proof of technical ability and code proficiency" in order to be issued a permit. The licensing authority has indicated that in order to show this, it will be to your advantage if you hold a General Class or higher license.

You will not be allowed to bring in your equipment until you have secured an operating permit.

Power limitation is 500 watts P.E.P. output with emission classes A1, A2, A3, A3A, A3J, F1, F2 and F3 in the bands 3.5-3.8, 7.0-7.1, 14.0-14.35, 21.0-21.45, 28.0-29.7 and 144.0-146.0 MHz. There is an allocation 1.8-2.0 MHz output power 26 2/3 watts P.E.P., emissions A1, A2, A3, A3A and A3J. Allocations in the VHF/UHF spectrum exist, but are not presently used.

There is a 2-meter FM repeater on European Channel R6 145.15 MHz in 145.75 MHz out, 1750 Hz tone access, but mobile operation is not presently permitted.

For more information write to: 

Amateur Radio Assoc. of Bahrain

Republic of Belau (T8)

United States amateurs may request permission to operate in the Trust Territory of the Pacific Islands by writing to:
George Ngirarsaov
PO Box 18
Koror, Belau 96940
Tel: 680 488 4618

There is no reciprocal or third party agreement between Belau and the United States.
Thanks to Ian Tervet, W7DIR and T88AF for the updated information.

Benin (TY) 

(UPDATED 09 November, 2009)
The following information comes courtesy of Rosiere Jean-Marc Rosiere, ON4JM:

Office des postes et Telecommunications du Benin
Serge Koudjo
01 B.P. 5959
Cotonou 4151 Benin

Five copies of the licensing documents and your license are required. Authorization in writing can take as much as 3 months to get back to you. First, the OPT will ask you to fill in papers with some information: equipment, antennas, power, location, dates of operation. Without these documents it's not possible to get the TY license. Your home license alone is not enough.

You'll have to pay bank to bank, not cash. Keep proof your payment. TY5ZR may be able to assist.

Bosnia and Herzegovina (T9)

This information comes from Larry N1TX:
Received fax dated 11 July 1997 from Bosnian Directorate of Telecommunications. States for US hams you must submit copy of US license, copy of passport, and official request for permission stating times of operation, location(s), and equipment details. Callsign is T9/US_Call. License is free. Data and queries to:

Directorate of Telecommunications
Ministry of Foreign Trade and Economic Relations
2 Musala Street
71000 Sarajevo
Bosnia and Herzegovina

Tel: 387-71 47 26 57
Fax: 387-71 44 12 48

For additional information about operating in Bosnia and Herzegovina, contact the IARU Member Society.

Botswana (A2)

The Republic of Botswana has entered into a reciprocal operating agreement with the United States.

Ron Payne, WA6YOU, who operated A25/WA6YOU in January 1988, gave us a lot of up-to-date information on how to obtain a license or visitor's permit in Botswana. According to him . . .

It is relatively easy for a visitor to obtain a permit. First, be ready upon arrival to have your equipment withheld at the Customs until you have obtained your operating permit. Then visit the Botswana Telecommunications Corporation (BTC), located near the center of town. You must take the original (and not a photocopy) of your FCC license, novice or higher, as well as two passport-size photos. Having filled out an application form with your name, date of birth, address and information about your equipment, signed a declaration form, handed in your FCC license and photos and paid 38 Pula (about $15), you will be given 90-day authorization to sign A25 followed by your US call. Return to the Customs to have your equipment back, and have fun! Frequency and power schedules are printed on the back side of this information sheet. Remember that third-party traffic is prohibited in Botswana. So is so-called guest operation. Before you leave the country, visit BTC and turn in your A25 permit for your FCC license.

In case you have questions, Ron has kindly offered to try to answer them over the telephone. His number is 703-273-72451.

If you are going to be a resident there, you will be assigned a local call sign, such as A22AA for full license and A24AB for novice. For the application procedure, which is a bit more complicated, and local coordination, please write to the following:

Botswana Telecommunications Corporation
PO Box 700

The member-society is:

Botswana Amateur Radio Society (BARS)

Bhutan (A5)

Dear Sir/Madam,

The Royal Govt. of Bhutan started allowing visiting amateur radio enthusiasts to operate from Bhutan as of April 2000.

All persons/groups are allowed to operate from Bhutan as long as they visit Bhutan as tourists, availing the services of a local licensed tourism operate.

The visitors will have to pay the normal tourist tariffs to the operator.

The Bhutan Telecommunications Authority will provide a Visitors Permit and Call sign for a fee of
US $ 300/- (Individual)
US $ 500/- (Group Permit)

Rabsel Tours was the first Tour Operator to handle a group of Japanese Amateur Radio enthusiasts to operate ham radio from the 1st -- 4th Feb 1995, from Bhutan. We are also aware of the operational modalities for visiting amateurs radio operation.

Rabsel Tours can be your one stop operator, who will take care of all procedures that have to be fulfilled.

If you would like more information, please contact us. We will also make available to you, the Operational Modalities for Visiting Amateur Radio Operators

Yours Sincerely,

Sangay Tenzing
Rabsel Tours
Rabsel Tours adn Treks
Post Box 488
Thimphu Bhutan

Tel: 975 2 324165
Fax: 975 2 324918

Bulgaria (LZ)

These are excerpts of a letter written by the Bulgarian Federation of Radio Amateurs (BFRA) to Barry Cohen, K2JV.

July 31, 1992

According to the rules of the radio amateur action in Bulgaria, you may participate/ make radio contact from all Bulgarian radio stations - private and collective. After their call you have to give your own (e.g. LZ1ZQ/K2JV or LZ/K2JV). If you like to bring your Amateur Radio station or a portable transceiver in our country you must gain permission from the Ministry of Foreign Affairs via your Embassy.

Our Committee of Posts. and Telecommunications (PTT) may issue you a visitors' permit. For that, you must send a FAX (via the BFRA) with a copy of your license to the address in Velingrad or Sofia. Indicate the time which you will be in Bulgaria. If you have a problem obtaining permission to bring your equipment into the country, we (BFRA) can provide you with all the necessary HF and VHF gear you need.

There are three license classes in Bulgaria:


A (First Class) 1KW input, all bands, all modes
B 250W input, all bands, all modes
C 50W input, 1.8,3.5 and 7 MHz, all modes

Yours Sincerely:
Zoravka Bouchkova, LZ1ZQ

For additional information about operating in Bulgaria, contact the Bulgarian IARU Member Society.

You may want to complete The 73 International Universal Permit Application when applying for an operating permit.

Burkina Faso (XT)

The United States does not hold a reciprocal or third party traffic agreement with Burkina Faso.

Send inquiries to: 

Office National des Telecommunications (ONATEL)

Cameroon (TJ)

These are comments received by Alex Bur, K5XY in July, 1988.

Cameroon is a small west central African country with a stable government and a mild climate. Power is 220 volts, 50 cycle AC and is stable, at least during the summer rainy season when hydroelectricity is plentiful. The official languages are French and English. All government officials are supposed to understand both. Most prefer to speak French.

A visa is required as are vaccinations against yellow fever and cholera. Precautions against malaria is recommended. All entry documents are carefully checked. A return or ongoing ticket is required. A local address must be given. The address can be a hotel, but it must be a specific hotel.

Amateur licensing is under the jurisdiction of the Ministere des Postes et Telecommunications housed in a building on top of a hill west of the Hilton Hotel. Licenses are issued by applying in person to the Bureau de Frequences et de Radioelectricite Privee. This office is housed in an auxiliary office building. It has no street address. Nothing in Cameroon has a street address. Ask a taxi driver or at the ministere. A 4 page form, available at the ministere must be filled out in quadruplicate, signed and taken to the post office where a 10,000 Franc ($40 U.S.) fee is assessed. The stamped form is returned to the Bureau where the decision is made.

It is not known what duty would be assessed on incoming radio equipment. The Cameroonian Embassy might be able to give details here. Air freight must be cleared by customs and will almost certainly be assessed something. Personal baggage, including hand baggage is carefully and completely inspected. The function of all unfamiliar objects is questioned.

Colombia (HJ-HK)

The United States holds a reciprocal and a third-party traffic agreement with Colombia. The application procedure has a number of crucial steps which may cause some difficulty. The radio society will be happy to assist you with your application.

Liga Colobiana de Radioaficionados (LCRA)

The requirements include the following: 

  • The application must be presented in Spanish at least 60 days prior to the date on which operation is expected to begin.
  • A photocopy of the original license.
  • Number and expiration date of a valid passport.
  • Three photographs, passport size.

As these requirements are subject to change, prospective applicants are urged to contact LCRA well in advance of the planned operation to learn the latest procedures.

All amateur bands available in the U.S. are also available in Colombia. There are no phone bands enforced by the government, but phone operators avoid using the bottom 100 kHz of the HF bands (40kHz on 40 meters) by gentleman's agreement in order to leave these portions clear for CW. The power limit is 2000 watts PEP.

Cuba (CM, CO)

The United States does not hold a reciprocal operating agreement with the Republic of Cuba, although there is a third-party traffic agreement between the two countries.

The Licensing administration is:

Direccion de Frecuencias Radioelectricas
Ministerio de Comunicaciones
Plaza de la Revolucion
La Habana

For more information, contact the Cuban IARU Society.

Czech Republic (OK-OL)

The Czech Republic does not hold a reciprocal licensing agreement with the United States. This does not mean, however, that it is always impossible for American amateurs to be licensed there. You may obtain an operating permit if you give ample time, 6 months if possible, for the authorities to consider and process your request.

The national Amateur Radio society mediates between the applicant and the Ministry of Posts and Telecommunications. The society is: 

Cesky Radioklub (CRK)

Denmark (OZ)

The United States does hold a reciprocal operating agreement with Denmark.

The name of Denmark's IARU member society is: 

Eksperimenterende Danske Radioamatoerer (EDR)

The name of the IARU member society in the Faroe Islands: 

Foroyskir Radioamatorar (FRA)

Djibouti (J2)

Djibouti has not entered into a reciprocal operating agreement with the United States. According to the IARU-member society, however, US amateurs are licensed on a case-by-case basis. We may also guest operate any J2 station under the supervision of the license.

The administration is:

Office des Postes et Telecommunications

The IARU member-society is: 

Association des Radioamateurs de Djibouti (ARAD)

Dominican Republic (HI)

Thanks to Lluis, EA3ELM, Bert Rathkamp, W8AE and Werner, DK8OJ, for this information.

The Dominican Republic shares a reciprocal and third party agreement with the United States.

Attached is a Spanish form letter (just add date and sign) and an equipment form in Spanish (your entries may be in English). With those two documents also enclose: 

  • A Xerox copy of your valid U.S.A amateur license.
  • Two passport size photos (2'X2').
  • Photo copy of first page of your Passport, if you have one.
  • Photo copy of your ARRL membership certificate.


Hand carry or Federal Express the above mentioned documents to:

Instituto Dominicano de las Telecomunicaiones
Ave. Abraham Lincoln 962
Edificio Osiris
Santo Domingo, Republica Dominicana

You may contact Carmen Rodriguez ( and Isabel Camacho ( via email for assistance.

We are told that if you hand carry your documents to the above address and present them along with the fee, you should hear something from her in about three days (usually a call to your hotel to tell you that the permit is ready).

The following update was provided by John, HI3/KL7JR in September 2014:


  • Usually takes 2-3 weeks when using email
  • No fee involved
  • Temporary license good for a few days up to 1 year then must be renewed.? You put the dates on the form.

For additional information contact the Dominican Republic IARU Society.

Dominica (J7) 

From: Karl Geng, N1DL
Sent: Sunday, December 19, 2004 1:01 PM
Subject: up to date licensing info for Dominica J7 Dec 2004

Please find the application form in the attachment.

The application fee is US$25.00 (cash). If you are paying by check, there is a surcharge of US$2.00; hence, the total cost for your license (with the payment by check) would be US$27.00.

They want a copy of your current amateur radio license and also a copy of your passport page for ID. The original (J7) license can be picked up at any port of entry on the island upon your arrival; let them know that port of entry. A copy of the original (J7) license can be faxed to you upon request.

In order to pick up the original (J7) license at the port of entry, your payment should have been made prior to your arrival. If you do not intend to pick up your amateur license at the port of entry, it must be collected at the Ministry of Communications, Government Headquarters, in Roseau.

The address is:

Dominica NTRC

26 King George V Street

P O Box 649



Tel: 1.767.440. 0627/767.500.3333

Fax: 1.767.440.0835


Information on licensing fees can be found at:

The application form for a "class licence" can be found at:

Click here to go to the next page - Select Countries E - H.