Select Countries I - N

Operating Permit Information

Indonesia (YB-YH)

All foreigners must have a valid one year residence permit in Indonesia before they are eligible to apply for an Indonesian license.

After Japan and the United States, Indonesia has the third largest number of Amateur Radio licensees in the world. There are four categories of licenses, however, only two of these are relevant to reciprocal licensing:

Penggalang (Intermediate) This class, with a YC/YF prefix, permits operation with 150 watts on all bands except the WARC bands and 20 meters. This license can be issued to holders of the American Technician + Class license.

Penegak (Advanced) This class license, with a YB/YE prefix, permits operation on all bands with 500 watts below 30 MHz and 180 watts above 30 MHz. It will be issued to holders of American General Class and above licenses.

The 3 letter suffix block for callsigns to be issued to expatriate operators is from AQA to AZZ. The Indonesian archipelago is divided into 10 call districts: 

West Java Province(2) Central Java Province and Yogyakarta Special District (3) East Java Province (4) Lampung, Bengkulu, Jambi and South Sumatra Provinces (5) Riau and West Sumatra Provinces (6) North Sumatra Province and Aceh Special District (7) West, Central, South and East Kalimantan Provinces (8) South, Southeast, Central and North Sulawesi, and Maluku Provinces (9) Bali, West and East Nusa Tenggara, Timor, and Irian Jaya Provinces (10)

The frequencies available for operation are consistent with the practices in IARU Region III. A formal band plan has been developed and the expatriate operator should procure a copy in order to comply with its requirements.

Indonesian Amateur Radio licenses are issued by the Director General of Post and Telecommunication, however, applications and processing of licenses are the responsibility of the IARU Member Society, Organisasi Amatir Radio Indonesia (ORARI) ORARI has its central operations in Jakarta, however, there are also regional offices in all provincial capitals and local offices in Jakarta and in many Kotomadya (incorporated cities) and kotip (administrative cities) across the country. All license application forms are to be obtained form the ORARI office having jurisdiction over the area where the applicant will reside.

It should be noted that there is no provision for portable operation in Indonesia. If an amateur moves the location of their station they must apply for a new license. Also, an expatriate operator may not operate with his home callsign "portable" in Indonesia. Actions contrary to these conditions are considered illegal. The authorities periodically conduct "sweeps", checking the correctness and validity of the operators' licenses. As guests of the country, expatriates should never abuse the privileges which reciprocal licensing offers them. 

Recommended Action for Licensing

In some instances, the newly arrived expatriate amateur may pass an ORARI office by chance, or find its number in the local telephone directory. Often these directories are several years old and inaccurate. Some English may be understood in an ORARI office; this being totally dependent on the capabilities of the local staff/officers present.

No directory of ORARI office addresses is generally available. The recommended initial action that the expatriate amateur can take after arriving at their new domicile is to take note of the radio antennas that dot the skyline in every community. While most of these antennas are 2 meter arrays it is best if an amateur displaying a HF beam can be located for assistance. It is customary that the local amateur's callsign will be displayed on the front of their house. (A word of caution: There are illegal stations being operated in certain areas without respect to the laws. Select a house with an antenna installation as well as a displayed callsign).

While the local YB amateurs should be able to speak English, some may not so it is best to be accompanied by a translator. The local amateur should prove quite willing to direct the expatriate to the appropriate ORARI office. Once the expatriate amateur has moved into a home and obtained their residence permit, they are eligible to apply for an Indonesian Amateur Radio license. Be advised that out in the provinces it will take about 3 months for the license to be processed and issued; the process may be more expedient in Jakarta. 

Application Procedure

While the actual Amateur Radio license is in both Indonesian and English languages, all application forms are in Indonesian language only. It is mandatory that the expatriate amateur be accompanied by a translator to review the forms with an ORARI officer and to ascertain exactly what information and supporting documents are needed. Five or more forms are required and will be obtained from the ORARI office. Each form requires the attachment of a Rp. 1000 tax stamp.

The expatriate amateur must also submit photocopies of their home country license and copies of the photo/signature pages and visa pages showing the residence permit, and entry/exit permit, if applicable, in their passport. Eleven unmounted 2x3 cm black and white passport type photos must also accompany the application packet. It is recommended that the expatriate procure the negative for this photo as photos are needed on many application/registration forms in the country).

The ORARI office may request a letter from the expatriate's client or sponsor in support of the application. This is especially applicable if the expatriate's residence permit is due to expire a few months after the date of application. The letter will certify that the applicant will be remaining on site for a longer period and also imply that the residence permit will be renewed.

The ORARI office will also determine how many copies of the application packet must be submitted with the original forms.

Payment of license fees is done via use of postal money transfers. These forms will be supplied to the applicant by the ORARI office. The fees are paid at the post office. As of June, 1993 the fees are as follow: 

ORARI Local Rp. 86,500
Regional Office of Post and Telecommunication 47,500
Provincial ORARI Office 113,000
Total Fees Rp. 247,000

Considering that at least Rp. 4,000 is also required for tax stamps, the fees total Rp. 251,000 ($120 U.S.). The license is valid for 12 months, however, as that period seems to start with the date of application, the expatriate amateur will be able to use the initial license for about 9 months. License renewals must be submitted 3 months prior to expiration of the existing license. The station may remain in operation while the renewal is being processed -- even beyond the expiration of the old license.

Iraq (YI)

Anyone wishing to apply for an Iraqi amateur radio license in Iraq currently goes through the Iraqi Amateur Radio Society. The INCMC application is available at and the applicant returns the completed form to the Iraqi-ARS for processing. Applicants should expect delays in processing. Keep this information handy for the next person who asks the question, and they will.

Also, if anyone is interested in participating in the MARS program while deployed should contact Mr. Daniel V. Wolff, Jr. Assistant Affiliate Coordinator, Europe US Army Military Affiliate Radio System (MARS) , MARS Callsigns: AEA1AM, AEM1WF, Amateur Radio callsigns: KA7AGN, DL4VCW

Italy (I)

July 22, 1996

The easiest way to get a reciprocal Italian license is to fill out the following application form and make a copy of your U.S. amateur license (certified copy not required). Go to just about any bank and get either an International Money Order or Lire. Most banks need a few days to obtain either one. DO NOT SEND U.S. MONEY. You will need 25,000 lire (aprox $16 U.S.) Place the following in an envelope addressed to the location shown on the application form.

Photocopy of U.S. license
Lire or money order
A note station whether you will pick up your license from them or the C/O address you would like them to send it to in Italy.

Send your application via registered mail.

It takes about 30 days or more to process, so make sure you send it in well in advance. This reciprocating license is only good for 90 days, so if your stay is longer, you must go through the same process again for another 90 day license. It will also take the same amount of time for processing the second and subsequent permits.

Additional information for operating in Italy can be found on the ARI web page.

The IARU Society is Associazione Radioamatori Italiani [ARI]

[application form]


I.T.U Headquarters in Geneva (4U1ITU)

Anyone who has a valid amateur radio license may operate the4U1ITU stationat the headquarters building of the International Telecommunication Union.

For more info please see -Info for the visitors on the 4U1ITU web page at

Well in advance of your operation, write to the following for authorization, without which you cannot even enter the building:

International Amateur Radio Club
PO Box 6
CH-1211 Geneva 20

or email

Operation is possible on all Region 1 frequencies between 1.810 and 440 MHz.

Best regards and 73! Attila OM1AM, station manager of 4U1ITU

Jordan (JY)

This information was provided by the Royal Jordanian Radio Amateur Society (RJRAS), PO Box 2353, Amman and updated in December, 1997 with information provided by Pete Dillon, N3FNE. 

Conditions for the issue of Visitors Radio Amateurs License in Jordan

The Royal Jordanian Radio Amateurs Society has approved the issue of amateur Radio licenses of one year duration for temporary visitors to Jordan of Non Jordanian Nationals of countries with whom the Jordan Society has an agreement relating to amateur radio, or where such an agreement is in prospect.

The issue of such a license to an applicant should hold a valid amateur radio license in his own country, and the appropriate form should be filled out at the Society headquarters with a payable fee of 60 Jordan Dinars (approx. $85 U.S.) valid for one year beginning on January 1 and is not pro-rated. Processing time for the operator's license may take up to several weeks. Once the operator license is in hand, you can apply for a station license. The society has the right to refuse the issue of a license without giving any reasons.

The application must give the following information:

Passport Number, date and place of issue Name in full Home address Nationality and date of birth Type of Xmitter, Frequency Range, Power (ERP) Class of home license -- Home Callsign Location of operation in Jordan Photostatic copy of home license indicating class, date of issue, length of validity. Period of stay in Jordan.

Frequencies: 3.5-3.8 MHz, 7-7.1 MHz, 14-14.35 MHz, 21-21.45 MHz, 28-29.7 MHz, 145-146 MHz.

Applicants will use callsign JY9 plus two letters to be issued by RJRAS. Mobile and portable stations add the suffix M and P respectively. 

i.e. Static JY9AA
Mobile JY9AA/M
Portable JY9AA/P

On the issue of the license the holder becomes obliged to comply with the Jordan regulations.

For more information, contact the Jordan IARU Society.

Kosovo (YU)

Kosovo is not a country, it is a province of Serbia and Montenegro, so amateurs must use the suffix "YU" attached to your call sign when you operate there.

The United Nations is acting as the de facto government there, so the ham operator has to get permission to operate from the UN. The point of contact is George Wairoma, who works in the Frequency Management Office of the Posts and Telecommunications Section of the UN interim government. That office is located on the third floor of the UN government building in downtown Pristina, Kosovo. When I

Received permission to operate, KFOR headquarters (J6) at Film City retained the frequency management role for security purposes. However, when they reviewed my application, they made the blanket call that Amateur Radio

operators could operate from all amateur radio bands, and that the UN did not have to check with them further to authorize a ham operator to operate in Kosovo. I received my authorization in about three days, and it was relatively painless. They do not issue call signs; you have to use your home call with the suffix "YU."

George Wairoma's telephone number is 5013 95 ... 501402, extension 5725.

Best wishes to anyone who tries to operate there. It's a very interesting land. Amateurs may contact me for help with this issue.

73 de Jeff Baker, WK3U.

Laos (XW)

Information is available from the following:

Ministere des Postes et Telecommunications
Avenue Lane Xang, Vietiane


Khaosane Pathet Lao
PO Box 310, Vientian 

April, 2005, Update -- The following information is offered by Alex XW3DT

There are no clear regulations on issuing amateur radio licenses in Laos. There is a step-by-step process in place which helps you eventually to get a permit provided that you have satisfied all of the criteria:

Obtain a guarantee letter from a local sponsor -- must be Laos-registered or a State-owned enterprise Apply to KPL and MIC for supervision permit - Khamphan XW1FAN would be the best person to help you at this stage With all papers above apply to the Department of Telecommunications for your license

License duration - usually three months. Required fees - USD150. Time for paper processing varies from two to three weeks.

Additional information

Lesotho (7P)

Lesotho has not entered into a reciprocal or a third party traffic agreement with the United States.

Please send inquiries directly to the licensing administration, which is:

Lesotho Telecommunications Corporation
PO Box 1037
Maseru 100

The member society is:

Lesotho Amateur Radio Society (LARS)

The following person has registered for the International Travel Host Exchange (ITHE) program:

Mr. Gunther Barak, 7P8CI
c/o L.A.R.S
PO Box 949
Maseru 100
phone: 326220

Mr. Barak speaks/reads/writes German and English, and is able to accommodate visitors under some circumstances.

Liberia (EL)

Liberia will issue permission to operate upon formal application along with a copy of your U.S. FCC license. Application should be made at least 60 days prior to your arrival providing the information requested below. A letter attesting to your character signed by the chief of police or your clergy will probably help expedite things. It helps if you have someone local to act as your agent. Send your request to:

Director, Radio Regulatory & Licensing Bureau
Ministry of Posts & Telecommunications
Monrovia, Liberia

As of the fall of 1994 the director was Mr. G. Alfred Tow, Jr. The cost of the annual license is $75 US and is good from January through December. Membership in the Liberian Radio Club is mandatory and costs $35. The entire sum is paid to the licensing authority. Mail, especially mail with money, has a way of getting lost in Liberia. It is suggested that application be made at least 90 days ahead of your visit so they can advise you of how to pay the fee. For temporary authorization, they will probably advise you to sign with your call/EL2. EL2xx calls are generally reserved for residents. If you are assigned a permanent call, it is possible to receive a vanity call.

Commercial power (220 VAC,50Hz)is rare. Some hotels have their own generators, but do not expect 24 hour service.

The IARU Society is the Liberia Radio Amateur Association (LRAA)




Libya (5A)

Amateur radio has almost been banned in the Socialist People's Libyan Arab Jamahiriya since 1970. There have been several operations by DL's, G3, JA1 and K5, but the majority of them were not officially licensed.

The licensing administration is:

Post and Telecommunications Corp.

Liechtenstein (HB0)

Landesverwaltung Des Furstentums Liechtenstein

Dienststelle Fur Post- Und Fernmeldewesen

Gesuch um eine zeitlich befristete Amateurfunkkonzession

This is an English translation of the Application for a temporary Amateur Radio license:

The license will be issued for a period of 3 months.

A reciprocal license will be issued to an amateur possessing a valid license in his home country.

The application should be submitted at least a month before departure, to allow for processing.

For more information, contact the Liechtenstein IARU Society.

Lithuania (LY)

The United States does not hold a formal reciprocal agreement with Lithuania. To get permission to operate we suggest contacting their IARU Society which is the Lietuvos Radijo Megeju Draugija (LRMD).

Macao (XX9)

The reciprocal licensing agreement between the Portuguese Republic and the United States supposedly applies to this Portuguese overseas territory.

First, write a letter of request for an operating permit, addressed to the following:

Direccao dos Servicos de Correios
e Telecomunicacoes

You will receive an acknowledgment and be instructed to formally apply upon arrival in Macao. Take this letter with you in order to get your equipment through customs easily.

In Macao, go to the Post Office, fill out the official application form, pay a license fee, and arrange for their inspection of your station. A day or two later, you will be permitted to start operating after the accordance of your equipment with the rules and regulations and the absence of TVI are confirmed in the inspection.

Macao has an amateur radio society: Associacao dos Radioamadores de Macau, Box 6018, Macau

Portugal maintains an embassy in the United States at 2125 Kalorama Road NW, Washington, DC 20008 (tel: 202-265-1643).

Macedonia (Z3)

The only information on file at this time is the name and address of the IARU Society. That address is:

Radioamaterski Sojuz na Makedonija (RSM)
Radioamateur Society of Macedonia
PO Box 14
91000 Skopje

Location: Gradski zid blok 5, 91000 Skopje
Phone: +389 (1) 237371/118339
Fax: +389 (1) 238257

If you obtain any further information please let us know, here in the Regulatory Information Branch.


Madagascar (5R)

The Republic of Madagascar has not entered into a reciprocal operating agreement or a third-party traffic agreement with the United States.

While the PTT in Madagascar is technically the governing agency, an inquiry there will most likely end up in the waste bin of the Postmaster. Applications for an Amateur Radio License should be directed to:

Msr. Devarieux Aubertin Rasendramiadana, Directeur OMERT
(Office Malagasy D'Etudes et Regulation des Telecommunications)
Direction de la Gestion des Frequences
En face du Magasin DIGITAL
Rue de Hydrocarbures,
Alarobia-Antananarivo 101

Tel: 22 421 19 Fax: 22 422 71

Current fees for a new licensee are 900,000 FMG (Malagasy Francs).

The Manufacturer, Model, and serial numbers of ALL transmitting devices must be listed on the application. A map or drawing listing the physical location of the transmitting site must accompany the application.

After arrival in Madagascar, the transmitting devices MUST be brought to the OMERT facility for technical inspection, which includes spectrum analysis for spurious emissions. Technical inspection fee is 150,000 FMG for each piece of transmitting equipment. Operating licenses for non-residents are only valid for the duration of the Visa. The official languages of Madagascar are French and Malagasy. If you are not fluent, please have a translator fill out your documents and accompany you on official business visits to OMERT.

Please note: An Amateur Radio License is NOT a permit to bring a transmitting device into the country Duty Free. A declaration of value must made to the Customs Official upon entry into the Republic of Madagascar, who will determine if a fee must be paid. Please contact Customs Officials in advance, or a private expediting company, as Import Fees on electronic devices can be up to 40% of the declared value of the device. This is VERY important.

While the is no formal Amateur Radio Society in Madagascar yet, we are working very hard to organize one, and hope to be recognized as MARA, Malagasy Amateur Radio Association, by Spring of 2001.

This information was provided courtesy of Kenneth C. Pendarvis, 5R8GQ who can be reached at

Marshall Islands (V7)

The U.S. holds a reciprocal and third-party agreement with the Republic of the Marshall Islands. For further information please write to:

Rommel Natividad
Spectrum Manager
Communications Division
Ministry of Tranportation and Communications
Republic of the Marshall Islands
Majuro, Marshall Islands 96960

Mauritania (5T)

The Islamic Republic of Mauritania has not entered into a reciprocal operating agreement or a third-party traffic agreement with the United States.

Inquiries should be sent to:

Office des Postes et Telecommunications

The only reported legal licensed operators are:
Permanent - 5T5SN/Nicolas and 5T0JL/Jean
Outstanding - 5T5BN/Bernard

Montserrat (VP2M)

The website for the licensing authority can be found on-line at  The website contains a copy of the application form, description of fees, and other requirements. Line supplies are 230 VAC, 60 Hz. for domestic single phase supplies, 400 VAC for 3 phase installations.

Myanmar (Burma) (XZ)

Until recently Amateur Radio has been banned in the Socialist Republic of the Union of Burma.

The licensing administration is:

Post and Telecommunications Department
Ministry of Transport and Communications
Ministers Office
1st floor, General Post Office
Strand Road, Rangoon

Nepal (9N)

The Kingdom of Nepal has not entered into a reciprocal or third party agreement with the United States or probably any country. However, it licenses foreign amateurs on a case-by-case basis. Inquires should be sent to: Ministry of Information and Communications Singhadurbar Katmandu Tel: 422-4468

You need to apply for a license directly at:

Ministry of Communications
Room 909
Panchayat Plaza
Prithvi Path
Tel: 422-4468

Bring your passport and your ORIGINAL amateur license from your home country. You will be given some forms to fill out and instructions on making a deposit into a government bank account. To get a two-band license, you will be charged 8,400 Nepalese rupees and will have to deposit the funds in hard currency equivalent (dollars, euros, etc). Once this is done it is possible to quickly get your license issued valid for the term of your visa.

New Caledonia (FK)

Complete the following form in duplicate. Send it together with a copy of your license well in advance of your trip to:

Office des Postes et Teleocmmunications
14 Rue Edouard Glasser

A permit will be issued in person upon your arrival. It is good for 3 months and is free of charge.

Nicaragua (YN)

March, 2006

Thanks to Larry, N4FD for this information:

One should go to then click on "Requisitos para Solicitud de Licensia de Servicio de Radioaficionado y Permiso Temporal para Radioaficionados Extranjeros" and follow the directions that are in Spanish.

Nigeria (5N-5O)

Neither the United States nor Canada shares a reciprocal operating agreement with Nigeria. Resident amateurs, however, regardless of nationality, may apply for Amateur Radio operating privileges.

Permits are issued based upon a minimum of six months residency in Nigeria. Each applicant must hold a General Class license or higher. No short-term operation of any kind is permitted. The applicant must also be a current member of the Nigeria Amateur Radio Society before operating permission is granted. Proceed as follows:

Obtain membership particulars for the NARS. Write to:

Oyekunie B. Ajayi, 5N0OBA
Secretary General
Nigeria Amateur Radio Society
PO Box 2873, G.P.O
Marina, Lagos

 Your letter must contain the following information:

  • Two photocopies of your FCC/DOC license.
  • Two passport pictures.
  • Details of your residency in Nigeria (proposed length of stay, place of stay, occupation, etc.).
  • Recommendation letter from your national amateur radio society affiliated with the IARU (that is, the ARRL/CRRL).

An application form for a permit and NARS dues information will be sent to you. You will also be advised of the license fee required. These fees must be sent by Foreign Draft in Nigerian Naira or US dollars to the above NARS address, as well as the completed application. Allow at least three months for all processing to be completed.

No amateur radio equipment may be taken into the country without the operating permit, and the Customs clearance letter signed by NARS Secretary General in your possession.

For more information contact the Nigeria IARU Society.

Norway (LA)

Norway is a full participant in the CEPT Recommendation T/R 61-01.


Click here to go to the next page - Select Countries O - T